Is Starcraft 2 out yet?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Bush77, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

Seriously though, how great is this release going to be - i bet it will be on cnn and shit, people are going to go offfff.. I can't begin to imagine how many units blizzard will sell given that it's 3 games.

That being said, why have they only announced the release date of wings of liberty? Are they thinking of holding off on the other two? :hsugh:

If you buy WoL can you play protoss/zerg online?? Or is the only difference the campaign?

I'm seriously thinking of investing in activision/blizzard in the new year, their stock price is low and this release will be earth shattering...

2. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

South Korea is going to come to a grinding halt. :rofl:

3. poin

poin OT Supporter

An alpha build has been leaked.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Only the Terran campaign has been announced because it's Blizzard. Release dates don't mean much to them. Yes, you can play as all races online but only Terran campaign. Look how well MW2, Guitar Hero and other A/B titles are selling, investing is probably a good idea.

Oh and in for SC2 on one.

5. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

I think I read theres a few missions at the end that are not terran. Also Starcraft 2 will have the best map editor ever, which means tons of custom campaings for the other 2 races.

6. juvental604

oh and the closest thing is a starcraft 2 mod for starcraft 1

reading http://www.sc2blog.com/

will have to do for now

7. Sooka

Sooka New Member

Thankfully the fact that release dates don't mean much to them is pretty much why they've had an almost 100% perfect track record of games. I have never played a bad game by Blizzard, though WoW is one of my least favorite mainly because as an experienced MMORPGer it got boring rather quick for me. Though WoW was a huge sellout for Blizz simply because it brought MMORPG's into the mainstream, they're one of the few companies who actually put the effort in to perfect their games instead of trying to get some sloppy, buggy, unfinished crap released by a deadline.

8. Tan_Man

Tan_Man New Member

this game will absolutely rape the MW2 sales record, mostly due to the fact that all of Korea is buying the fucking thing

9. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

3 times

10. Snoopy007

Snoopy007 #´・ω・)っ且~ OT Supporter

when is D3 coming out :wtc:

11. Maestro

Maestro New Member

PC cafe related death tolls will rise 30000%

12. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

i was thinking about that too... SC2 will definitely break the blizzard fatality record

13. Maestro

Maestro New Member

hell koreans may just become extinct

14. Noel

Noel New Member

There is no chance Starcraft 2 breaks MW2's sales record.

MW2 sold 4.7 million copies in one day (just in America and the UK)

The fastest selling PC game of all time was Wrath of the Lich King, which sold 2.4 million.

15. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

MW2 is a great FPS but there will be a better one in due time.

Starcraft is on another level completely. The 12 year old original is still popular worldwide because it's simply that good.

Guaranteed SC2 shatters all sales records.

16. Noel

Noel New Member

No chance.

Compared to consoles, the PC is still a smaller niche market. The only games that will ever come close to MW2's sales are mainstream games.

Do you know what the 3 best selling PC games of all time are?
    1. The Sims
    2. The Sims 2
    3. WoW

Starcraft 2 is not a mainstream game

17. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

18. GamerAsh

GamerAsh SKATE crew

There is no way in hell dude.

19. Sooka

Sooka New Member

The thing is that until WoW Blizzard hasn't really advertised over television at all except for their really short Diablo 2 ad campaign which not many people saw. Now that Blizzard has a higher fanbase due to WoW, a crapload of old Starcraft fans who've been waiting for over a decade for a sequel, and sufficient advertising funds, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Starcraft 2 breaks sales records. I know I'm buying it ASAP once it comes out and I'm sure the same will go for 90% of Starcraft, Warcraft, and Blizzard consumers in general. Also, Blizzard has shifted their focus towards the mainstream audience with WoW, I do consider them a mainstream game company. Some of the reasons why so many PC games are underlooked by the mainstream audience is because:

1) A lot of PC games, especially newer ones, don't run very well on the average persons computer and usually contain more bugs and glitches than console games, which the average person has no idea how to deal with. Blizzard rarely ever had that problem, developing games that work fine on most computers with little to no bugs.

2) The PC game market doesn't stand as strong as consoles in the advertisement industry, but Blizzard definately came as far as any console game company in terms of advertising.

Most people don't have two grand to shell out for a good gaming PC that'll run games like a PS3, but that rule doesn't apply as much towards Blizzard and towards the RTS genre considering the fact that RTS games are always better played on PC than console.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  20. Noel

Noel New Member

Advertising has very little to do with it. If it were that easy, every game would inflate it's advertising budget and see a corresponding increase in sales...unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Starcraft 2 will sell a lot of copies, no doubt.

But it will not come close to any recent sales records, because

1. The PC market is just too small compared to consoles/multiplatform
    2. an RTS is simply not mainstream enough to appeal to the majority of people (remember, the last 3 record breaking games were halo3, GTA4 and MW2)

21. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

I hate MW2 and even though I own all the consoles and enjoy them...I'm a PC guy for life.

With that being said, I find NO WAY in the hell that Starcaft 2 is going to smash MW2 sales records. I think we may get decently close (off about a million copies), but overall the first months sales records for SC2...if we will ever truly know because of digital distribution is probably going to be somewhere between 2 and 3 million. It will not break MW2 or GTA, they are the mass market...everyone from the idiots that know nothing about games to the people that are the hardcore buy those damn games.

I would love to eat my own words, but I just don't see it happening realistically.

The PC market is much much much larger than the console market actually. However, can your shitty PC from 2001 run Starcaft 2...the answer is no. Also the amount of knowledge you have to have in order to play PC games goes up significantly because you need to know some computer basics (RAM, mhz, CPU, OS, etc.). The console "retards" (those folks that know very little about the products they buy) just have to go out and buy their damn game and guess what it works.

The PC market is the largest gaming market since their install base has been going on for three decades, the main issues as I said before are system specs and knowledge.

I agree, with everything you said though about PC being a niche market as well as the fact that while "I" love starcaft, it is so much more of a hardcore market and will not generate enough buzz outside of that field. In turn, it will not move as many copies...period.

22. juvental604

Starcraft 1 is the 3rd best selling PC game of all time; according to vgchartz It has sold 11 million world wide. There is a very good chance starcraft 2 can do better numbers than that and get close to or beat modern warfares 13 - 14 million WW sales.

You will be able to run the game on any Pc that is capable of playing world of warcraft, which means theres atleast 10 million blizzard fans that have pcs capable for it. I have a feeling world of warcraft created alot of new mainstream users for the starcraft universe, plus all the old fans which are DYING for a sequel, plus a better marketing campaign, sales look to be good.

23. juvental604

THe sims and world of warcraft

24. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Globally, the PC is still a huge gaming platform. Starcraft is going to sell well all over, and so did MW2. Who cares which sells more? I know I'll be enjoying SC2 for a long long time though.

25. Noel

Noel New Member

Yeah, pretty much