Is spoofing your Mac Address Illegal?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kronik85, Apr 17, 2008.

1. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

I was told it broke some law / EULA of somesort. I tried to find anything on it but couldn't. Anyone have a definitive answer?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

It's usually done to get around security of some sort, so it's probably illegal, but not sure under what law.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

Its just cheaper than swapping LAN cards

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the actual act of spoofing a mac address is not illegal. However, it is generally used to accomplish illegal things.

representing yourself to be someone/thing you're not is fraud. And if you attempt to impersonate someone/thing else then it's identity theft.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It isn't even slightly illegal. I do it at work all the time to use software on machines that it wasn't originally licensed for -- and before Potty rides my ass about that, since a network can only have one of each MAC address at any one time, I have to change the MAC address on the machine that the software was removed from, too. So I'm not exceeding my purchased licenses, just moving them where they're needed. Hell, a lot of really expensive software now is designed to attach to MAC-like serial numbers built into USB dongles, so it's all the same difference.

6. FartLighter

FartLighter Resident Fart Expert OT Supporter

The act itself isn't illegal. Network admins actually have to do it sometimes. I think it violates an FCC regulation if it is used publicly (to subvert security etc.) so it is illegal if it is used to access other networks etc.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lol. identity theft. you should learn what identity theft actually is before you start spouting out ignorance.

here, do some research. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_theft

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

IRONY! You should learn the english language before you use big words like "ignorance".

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you aren't pretending to be someone else. you are making one computer pretend to be another one. now, it can be used to steal information and lead to identity theft, but it on its own is not identity theft.

i know you love to jump the gun and say that everything everyone does (other than you, of course) is illegal in one way or another. i think you just hope that the mods will lock people's threads simply because you say it is illegal.:greddy: