COMIC Is Spider-Man: The Other worth purchasing?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Ando, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Ando

Ando CDN Member

I'm considering getting the trade for it.

If not, are there any other recent spidey trades that are worth getting?

2. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

ultimate spiderman. all of them :o

The Other i havent got because its in hardcover, and i want it in TPB form :hsd: but its on my list of TPB's

3. Ando

Ando CDN Member

i own most of the earlier ultimate spiderman issues, and a couple trades, but the stuff after ultimate carnage didnt seem that appealing to me.

4. void

void oh yeah?

the other started off to be a really cool arc...then it went kinda crazy with the totems and the spider gods and whatnot.

but i really liked it, i've been trying to find a decent deal on the individual issues, but they're impossible to get at nothing short of 40-50 bucks for 12 issues :hsugh:

5. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

wow good thing i bought them all right when they came out and have them bagged and bored!

6. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

"The Other" kinda failed in its goal to revolutionize Spider-Man. If anything, it created a better relationship with Spider-Man and Iron Man at the end due to transpiring events, but none of those events have been incorporated into future Spider-Man stories; it's as if it's already ret-conned. However, you have to consider that Civil War started right after The Other ended, so we may have yet to see the effects on Unmasked Spidey...or not.

7. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I have all of them and all the variants too. It's pretty awesome, I"m upset they didn't develop spider-man even more. :(

I'm sure they will though, I have faith in it.

8. void

void oh yeah?

yeah, but those stingers are gay as shit. i mean, i can understand the existance of past "spider-men" but still...even that's kinda crazy. peter is supposed to be this one time deal, not some on-going existance.

i still liked that arc...even though i don't really agree with it

9. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

Well I remember a while back with the wolverine/spidey team-up, some doctor guy was studying spidey's body and found that he had venom sacs and a way to inject the poison, he just didn't want to tell peter how to use them.

The stingers aren't too bad. I really liked the hairs thing and becoming more spider than just a man with good reflexes and strength. It could/would lead to some pretty bitchin' writing.

10. void

void oh yeah?

i liked how they developed him at the end, with the powers he neglected over the years...but it seems like the house of m that happened after it made him forget all that extra cool shit he could do.

like all the writers just dropped it, they turned spidey into a possible BIG player...then they send him off to dream world, shave his head, and give him gwen back. :hs:

11. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I hope that after Civil War they'll do something more with it. If it's one thing about Spider-man, they always go back to something that happened in the past to build his character some more.

Maybe the unmasked thing will force him to become "Spider-Man" and not Peter Parker anymore. Maybe he will "embrace the Spider" and let go of the man as the end of the other suggested.

12. Bobbot

I dunno, I'm thinking that Mary Jane is gonna die :noes: I'm not sure if they'll incorporate the Other stuff yet, but it would definitely make me feel like my stock is worth something.
    Joe Q has stated that one thing he thinks that has held Spidey back is the fact that he is married; he also said that about Superman, all in the same interview about character development in general.

13. void

void oh yeah?

that's what i HATE about 616, too much shit is set in stone. after fucking forever they do something crazy like unmask spider-man, but knock off MJ right after that? i really doubt that. i just don't see how they're going to keep a fanbase with an out of the closet peter parker. sure they have some cool new arcs to deal with, but that was whole deal about peter. the lone hero, he's never thanked in his alter-ego's life, and he has to struggles of everyday life as well as spider-man. i think that's what fans loved about him so much.

now what?

14. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

Now he suffers even more when his wife and aunt get murdered. He goes and beats the shit out of Tony Stark and becomes The Spider.

15. Bobbot

I admit that I was shocked and unapproving of his unmasking; but I have faith in TPTB at Marvel. They said they went through the pros and cons and felt that this was the right move for the character. I would hate to see MJ die. It's part of what I love of Spidey too. It's one tragedy however that he does not need to suffer. Death has become too much of a common plot device these days.

16. void

void oh yeah?

they won't kill MJ. but now since he's a star...she just might leave him :hs:

17. void

void oh yeah?

or vice versa :dunno:

18. Bobbot

Nah, Peter could never leave MJ; he's hit the jackpot with her. UNLESS he's got memories of Gwen from the House of M fiasco. But even so, MJ knows about his true love of Gwen and they have reconciled it, as evidenced in Spiderman: Blue. If anyone leaves, I think it would be MJ. But she loves the dork! Something will have to happen to turn one of them away, and I don't think it's the unmasking. Afterall, he talked it over with her and she was okay with it.

Maybe Cap will cheat on her.

edit: OOOOhhh, Tony Stark. It'll get Peter pissed, it'll push him to the other side, and it'll create a rift between the 3 of them. OOOhh

19. void

void oh yeah?

the first post said MJ would leave him. peter's the star now, and what happens to all the girlfriends of brand new movie stars? they get the curb.

then peter could crossover into the ultimate U and take the cloned gwen away from that fucking fiasco :embd:

20. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

In the illuminati special stark did say he wanted to ruin Peter. What better way than leaving a pearl necklace on his wife?

21. void

void oh yeah?

and peter is going to beat the fucking shit out of tony in the next few civil war books :bigthumb:

22. Bobbot

Someone has to!

23. void

void oh yeah?

fuck...I'LL do it if that means they can bump up the schedule for another week :hs:

24. Bobbot

Hmmm...come to think of it, it'll free up $8 for comics in the next few months. Maybe I can buy some toys!!

25. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

My LCS is having 50% off of all their toys. Need anything? I can go take a look for you.