Is something like this possible - clipboard access

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lava Joe, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

Can a website be programmed to read an image from the clipboard and upload it? I nkow websites can read/write text to and from the clipboard, but can the same be done with images. I would prefer being able to do it without the need to install any software on the browser. I know I am probably not describing it well, but something like this:

1. Dood pressed print screen on his keyboard.
    2. Goes to website. Clicks the appropriate button/link on the site to read his clipboard and upload the image.
    3. Once the upload is finished, it displays the image.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Most browsers nowadays would shit a brick if a piece of code tried to pull data from a local application like the Clipboard. Why not hit Printscreen, then open MSPaint and save the screenshot, and then upload it? You're only eliminating one quick step from the process.

3. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

Its really not a quick step for computer illiterate people.

I don't mind if the browser pops up a message asking the user for permission to access the clipboard like IE7 does.

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Without additional software, no.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Websites already can read the text you have on your clipboard.
    (in internet explorer at least)
    It doesn't sound like a stretch to be able to do this.
    But it would probably be something custom that somebody like deusexaethra would have to write.

6. deusexaethera

Is this for a tech support form or something? Someone gets an error message and they snap a screenshot and send it to you, is that how it's gonna work?

7. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

That would be a good description of its main use.

8. deusexaethera

I think it would be better to write a local app that the client installs and runs in the system tray on startup, and when it detects that "DUMPREP.EXE" has been launched, it snaps a screenshot, grabs the dump file, pops up a window asking the user what they were doing when the error occurred, and uses FTP (or SMTP) to upload all three files to your server. That way the user doesn't have to do a thing except install the software once.