is software that is based on SQL generally stable?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Sep 20, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my dad bought new dental software called eaglesoft. it uses a sql server to store all of its stuff. it stores everything in a .log and .db file. it fires up the sql database in the morning and then we can use the program from there. it hasn't crashed yet

his old software, tdocs, didn't seem to use sql, actually i'm not sure how it stored everything, it just kept growing bigger and bigger over the years and generated thousands of .fil files. it was somewhat stable, although he would occasionally get an overflow error that would knock him out of the program

i'm sure it's purely based on how good the sql programming is...

shit was expensive too, like $10k for a single dentist. compare that to his old software that cost $800.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You can write good software and bad software in any language, using any technology. Using SQL doesn't imply that a piece of software is good or stable.

3. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

10k? holy fucking hell, it better be a combo EMR/billing program for that kind of money.

4. dorkultra

the sad part is that he has to pay more if he wanted to use the clinical software, like taking digital photos in the chair and charting etc.

the software does tons and tons of stuff. it's mostly used to hold the patients data, billing, process electronic claims, print reports and receipts etc.

i do think that $10k is steep for that functionality though.

5. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

it's VERY steep. how much was the database license?

i used to work for a practice management consulting firm, they mostly sold medisoft/lytec (most popular billing software for small medical practices). even with a 5 user license, it barely touched $3k. mind you, an emr wasn't included but you could get the whole thing (with emr) done and installed for less than 6, maybe 7 and i'm talking full data sharing between both programs and the ability to bill straight to pretty much any clearinghouse. :dunno:

then again, if we start talking training and other shit, it adds up quick.

how many users does the 10k cover and does that include support and training?

6. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Olap does a hell of a job implementing charts with SQL.

7. dorkultra

well, good news is that it covers can have up to 10 computers. they say 10 licenses, but there is no license checking, so realistically you could have more, but only 1 server and 9 clients.

the biggest thing it included was a software conversion. they took our old software, extracted all the patients, billing, etc and dumped it in the new software. that saved us so much time, because he has like 2500 patients. they did the conversion for free as a promo.
    it includes 2 days of training, the lady was really awesome. for someone around 60yrs old, she knew that software and windows xp inside and out. i was impressed.
    support i believe is 3 years unlimited. they have some type of direct connect service, where they will vnc into the machine. they provide toll free unlimited phone service, and they answer in under 2 mins (i tested it a few times already). i think they also do live chat and obviously email support. i don't know if that covers them coming out the office for something.

they charge like 40 cents per electronic claim, which is better than the previous software that charged 50 cents. if the claim needs to be written to paper and sent in my the eclaims corp, they charge 50 cents. not too bad considering the cost of a stamp and paper and time.
    i'm not totally worried about the software, because i can just drop the backup onto another machine and it replicates it perfectly. i just never worked with anything that used an sql engine