is running twice a day overdoing it?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by caucasion, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caucasion

caucasion New Member

is running twice a day overdoing it? *pics inside*

if my ultimate goal is to drop from 19x back to the low 180s high 170s, would running in the morning and late afternoon be overkill?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

If your goal is cardiovascular health, then no running twice a day isn't all that obscure assuming you give yourself days off to rest and recover to prevent overtraining. But if your goal is to lower your body fat, there are better and easier ways to do it. One alternative you might want to look into (if you haven't already) is HIIT [High Intensity Interval Training.] That way if you enjoy running, you can do so in a way that will help reach your goals a little faster...

And if you aren't already, weight training is a must for body composition change. I don't know the exact numbers, but the amount of calories you burn lifting weights vs running is a pretty vast difference.

3. caucasion

caucasion New Member

ive been on a long hiatus, i havent touched weights since october. i will have pics loaded soon

4. xpinchx

Again, it would be worth your while to do so. There isn't a huge difference in the calories burned in running a 12-min mile vs ~30 minutes of high intensity weight training, but the calories burned afterwards is where the difference is. After you finish running, your body continues to burn calories as your body returns to its resting or idle state. It isn't a very considerable amount, but the calories are still being burned... But if you're lifting that EPOC level is going to be much higher as your muscles continue to rebuild themselves for the next 48 hours. Not to mention once you put on muscle mass, your muscles will consume more calories simply by existing in your body, and it'll take a lot less effort to keep your weight in check.

I didn't come in this thread to convert you to a pro body builder, I'm just saying you're only holding yourself back by not doing it.

5. caucasion

caucasion New Member

oh no doubt, i want to get back to the gym and start an upper lower sprint, but the gyms not opened again till next tuesday. ironically after new years. thats why im just running these next few days.

6. xpinchx

:bigthumb: Good luck with all the new-years resolution people. :hs:

7. tb151

tb151 New Member

he IS all the new years resolution people!!:fawk:

8. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If you're not training for running specifically, yes- twice a day running is too much, and silly. Better to get back into lifting and keep running for your cardio in a more normal fashion if you love the running that much. If you're not into the running for runnings sake, do something else for cardio.

9. caucasion

caucasion New Member

i was a fall 05 workout, but a mix of things prevented that. :noes:

10. caucasion

caucasion New Member

11. xpinchx

Honestly, you're in no shape to be cutting. You're not overly obese or anything, so it's not like your health is at risk or anything. If you were to cut now you'd just be skinny. Again, it totally depends on what your fitness goals are, but IMO you should be bulking right now. You don't need to go all out 5000-calorie-a-day bulking, but you should be lifting heavy. It doesn't look like you have much muscle mass, so at this point it's probably entirely possible to gain muscle while losing fat. Just eat plenty of protein and lift heavy. If you have any specific questions there is plenty of info here to help you find answers.

12. onslaught61

onslaught61 OT Supporter

you dont need to run that much like they say but if youre new to running you should start with less. ar eyou doing long distance or short?

13. caucasion

caucasion New Member

im running just under 1.5 miles. i usually run .5 then walk for a bit, run .5 again and walk then sprint the end.

xpinchx : i dont think i should be cutting either, but im at 192 and im 5'10". i figure if i just do cardio, maintain my eating habits (steaks, chicken, knock out the chips and popcorn) andi should be okay?

14. xpinchx

Obviously that's an improvement over eating chips and junk food and living a sedentary lifestyle, but why settle for a half-ass job? You're just wasting time by walk/run/walk/run a long distance. If you're really not into lifting heavy, at least look into HIIT.

15. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

no shit! I'm already hearing this stuff at work. I think I'll be avoiding 24hr fitness the first 2 weeks in January.. :o

16. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

actually if he's just starting out running the run/walk(5min jog/1min walk for example) thing for longer distances isn't bad. You can actually last longer.

edit- I take that back. for 1.5 miles he should try jogging the whole thing :o
    anything over 3 miles would probably require the jog/walk method.

17. Elfling

Elfling New Member

:werd: And if he's not trying to work up to that, 2 a days are retarded.

18. xpinchx

I also had the impression he's been doing this for a wile. :dunno:

19. caucasion

caucasion New Member

nah i jsut started
    i figured out , based on whats been said here what to do. maintain the weight im at without eating shit foods, such as a full breakfast, steak or chicken or roast beef of some sort for lunch, or pasta, then steak or something similar for dinner. y "snakcs" are string cheese (7g of protein) or some tuna. my running is going to be closer to HITT. i guess by lifting enough, the weight will shift and ill stay the same wieght, but look alot better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.