Is running marathon detrimental?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hippyguy, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippyguy

hippyguy New Member

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'd be more worried about my knees falling apart from running 26 miles on the typical cement route they use for marathons than any of that retarded stuff.

3. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/f...619917040&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

This is a good article from the NY times regarding heart health and marathon running.

It shouldn't detract people from the running exercise - but anyone should be aware that there are dangers to overdoing it.

I'd like to see a study like this on body builders as well (non-juicing ones).

I am of the opinion that you can do too much to your body while trying to get it healthy.

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Detrimental to what?

If your goal is to run a marathon, it's not detrimental to train for it.

If your goal is bodybuilding, long distance running is not recommended.

I know runners with injuries and bodybuilders/PLers with injuries from their chosen sports. I know runners who are perfectly healthy and have never so much as twisted an ankle.

Doesn't matter what your sport is; there's ways to be smart about it and ways to not be- i.e., overtrain, underfuel, etc.

5. TZ

TZ Banned

I would never wanna run a marathon. Have you seen those guys? No muscle at all :mamoru:. I definitely admire their endurance and resolve though.

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Why run that far? Don't you have a car? Public transportation?

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

The name "marathon" comes from the legend of Pheidippides, a Greek soldier who, according to legend, was sent from the town of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been miraculously defeated in the Battle of Marathon. It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping, but moments after proclaiming his message to the city, he collapsed dead tired.

why climb everest? why grow to be a behemoth freak like ronnie? everyone has their reasons.

8. bakerdem

bakerdem New Member

depends on your goal
    i trained for a marathon, after going through a big bulk and cut, i ahd gained a lot of size.

after i ran it, man did i lose a lot of muscle it seemed. i guess it depends on your training and so on, but it can really take a toll on your body.

you will get lean though! :rofl: i can guarentee that

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

It would probably lead to strange results. What is a "bodybuilder" ? Will the fratboy count since they go often ? They'll probably score high on muscle imbalance, postural problems, low flexibility, probably a bad VO2max, a shitty diet.
    But I think that there were some studies on weight lifting and its effects in relation to its frequency. There were some psychological benefits (lower depression rates, probably a better perception of self-efficacy and stuf like that) and the physical benefits would vary on the program, the intensity and adherence to the program. There would probably be some major differences though between those who have been training for years without stopping and most people who join a commercial gym.

10. Elfling

Elfling New Member

That's what my boyfriend always says about my long runs :rofl: "Anything over a mile, that's why God gave us cars!"

But there's just as many people that feel that way about "muscleheads" so..whatever.

11. Twinturbos101

Twinturbos101 OT Supporter

Stuff magazine :mamoru:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.