Is running in "long" stretches better than HIIT?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by undirected, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undirected

undirected Guest

I put "long" in quotation marks because one mile isn't really long to somebody in shape, but it is to me. Would I be better off running a mile to a mile and a half at a time (along with a stretch, 3-5 minute walking warm-up at 4mph, and the same amount of time for a cooldown) or running at a faster pace for say, half a mile, then walking for half a mile, running another half a mile, etc. until I tire out?

I've heard conflicting opinions about this. What are you guys' thoughts?

2. k1d.

k1d. New Member

if u cant run half a mile.. kinda pointless to do HIIT.
    you'll get gassed after like 2 sprints? lol

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

HIIT is by far better, but if you cant run for a decent 1mile you prob cant do true HIIT.

Also it really depends on what your goals are? Do you want to be a long distance runner or do you just want to lose weight?

4. LancerV

:werd:

5. undirected

undirected Guest

-+

Wait, what? No, as of right this second I can run about a mile and a quarter before I get abdominal cramps and really out of breath and need to cool down (I know, I'm way the fuck out of shape, and the half pack of cigarettes I still smoke aren't helping at all either)

I'm just wondering if I can increase my endurance with HIIT or if I'm better off just continuing to try to tack on extra distance (1.5 miles one week, 1.75 miles the next week, 2 miles the next, etc.)

6. LancerV

Whats your current 1mile time?

7. undirected

undirected Guest

About 9 minutes :hsd:

8. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

I'd wait until you can do 2 miles non stop.
    Then increase speed until you can do 2 miles in under 16 minutes.
    Then do a mix of HIIT and longer distances.
    You're just going to injure yourself if you try to do HIIT now.

9. undirected

undirected Guest

Would what I mentioned above (increasing my distance by about a quarter mile a week) be a good way to get to that point?

10. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

If you can improve that quickly without hurting yourself, sacrificing weight training, and getting enough rest then sure. When you start increasing speed increase no more than 10% a week.

Of course the best thing you can do for yourself is to stop smoking.

11. undirected

undirected Guest

I've been doing very light weight training, and I've been doing it on machines - I know, I might as well be doing nothing at all, but I'm completely lost when I look at free weights and cables. Only frees I've ever done have been basic dumbbell and straight bar bench exercises

When you say "sacrificing weight training" what do you mean exactly?

I'm actually leaving in a minute to pick up some gum. I'm tired of poisoning myself while trying to get healthy in other ways, makes no damned sense

12. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

I mean most people don't have the 2 or 3 hours a day, or the motivation, to do a decent cardio and weight training session. So don't sacrifice the weight training to do cardio 6 times a week.

There are plenty of places to get help with good weight lifting routines (like this forum for instance). And I bet you can find someone at your gym willing to help you out to make sure you don't injure yourself when you get started. You can also go here http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html to get a pretty good start.

13. undirected

undirected Guest

Fair enough. I work full time/go to school so I usually only get the chance to spend about an hour at the gym on a daily basis, so I usually do about 20-30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of light weight lifting

I've heard that doing a lot of running/other cardio will basically negate any gains from weight lifting...is that true? Or is there just a balance that needs to be struck there so that one doesn't overtake the other?

14. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Don't worry about any of that yet. Just quite smoking, eat healthy, and get a proper weight lifting routine in place that still allows you to do some cardio throughout the week. If you you start breaking down from all the running switch to swimming or the stairmaster. Also, don't run before you lift, lift before you run.

15. undirected

undirected Guest

:rly: I was doing the opposite because I was told that you maximize your results lifting when your heart rate is up

I typically keep a heart rate of about 165 when I'm running (high, I know, but I'm young) and about 150 as I'm cooling down and transferring over to the weights

As for the smoking, I had my last one in the pack a couple hours ago and I bought some Nicorette. We'll see how it goes

thanks for all your help

16. elduderino323

elduderino323 OT Supporter

17. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

lol @ people who think HIIT has anything to do with speed, over exertion.

High Intensity Interval Training.... not, you must run a 6 minute mile to get any benifit from it training.

18. undirected

undirected Guest

what?

19. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

HIIT doesn't have anything to do with speed. Its about high intensity. Intensity higher than can be maintained for long periods of time. You're exerting enough effort that you're heart can't supply oxygen fast enough. The "recovery" time is there to refresh the oxygen in the muscle just so you can do it all over again. HIIT does NOT require being able to run.

20. undirected

undirected Guest

Okay, point taken...

but I'm not really focusing on getting my speed up, that will come with time. I'm just trying to get in the best shape I can as quickly as possible without injuring myself. That's why I'm asking whether for my current goal (which is simply to get more healthy, the rest will follow) running like I am doing or HIIT would be better :dunno:

21. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Always go with your prefered training method first. Personally, i'd only recommend steady state cardio if you have time to burn or if you are distance training.

22. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

Mix it up. Even when I do long slow runs I like to finish it off either with regular sprints or I run up stairs with as much intensity as I have left. That way you get the duration of a sustained jog and get your legs "thinking fast". And some days you can just do regular speed work.

23. TracerBullet

In a cross country training program for example you wouldn't just do one type or run. You do speed work, hill work, interval training, etc.

24. TracerBullet

Plus full tilt sprinting for speed is a different kind of satisfaction than pushing yourself to keep up a running pace for more miles than you ever have before.

25. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

HIIT is for sailors and faggots

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.