is riding a motorcycle as dangerous and fatal as the media/general public thinks

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bigman7903, Aug 2, 2005.

?

is riding as dangerous as it is said to be

1. definatly dangerous to the extremes

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. not at all safe as could be

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. its dangerous but assholes have given it a bad name

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. not too bad if you keep yourself under control and ride smart

45 vote(s)
    46.4%
  5. other

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

my parents are making me do a report that shows that motorcycles are not as dangerous as the media play it up to be, i dont need you to give me numbers or anything but i ask for you for your opinion, is it as dangerous as they say or is it just idiot on overly powerful bikes making mistakes or people riding drunk that gives it a bad name. i'm just curious to hear some people who have riding experience and have some personal input on the subject

i'f you would like to add websites that have this info please feel free to help me plead my case:x:

2. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

totally agree w/ you, i hear this all the time, thanks for the input

3. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Its dangerous on all levels. You could be the best rider in the world, its the other assholes out there on the streets. The general population doesnt know how to drive around a motorcycle, doesnt really watch for them, and doesnt really care.

If anything its probably more dangerous than people say.

4. bummerkit

bummerkit New Member

one thing that might be interesting to put in the report is that being a good rider will also make you a better driver in a car.

5. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

It isnt that dangerous to the observant and trained rider. The thing is you need to ride as though you are invisible. Pretend nobody on the road sees you and constaltly be thinking of how to get out of any situation, such as when passing a car think about what you will do not if, but when he changes into your lane. Some times when I am tired I know I dont think like this any more, that scares me and keeps me from riding when I am impared in any way.

Another thing to remember is that alot of motorcycle crashes are caused by riders doing dumb things. Dont ride too fast for conditions (traffic is included in this) and that will prevent alot of crashes.

I would say riding is only slightly more dangerous than driving your car. Accident avoidance is easier due to the small size but in the event you do get hit injuries are more likely and more serious.

6. Mel

Mel RIP James :(

I work at a hospital, and some of the worst things I've seen have come from motorcycles accidents. It's dangerous, and it's because of ignorant drivers - both on the motorcyclist and the car drivers parts.

7. V!

V! New Member

This is the only thing you need to understand

The second you assume that someone in a car knows what they are doing, it's the first time you will get into an accident...

8. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i voted option 3. imo, risk management. i'm talking about everything from lane position to proper maintenence to gear. knowing the potential risks and preparing for them as best you can will significantly reduce your chances of injury.

9. Count Nigula

Count Nigula º¿º DJ º¿º

90% of motorcycle wrecks is the riders fault. (sportbikes)

10. Frequency

Frequency New Member

most stats are pulled from ones ass

but i will agree most sports bike crashes are rider erro due to the fact they need to look hot on their bike and can't handle that brand spanking new r6

I went to school with a guy jsut started riding i ran into him a bit ago we talked, he has an 05 R6 with 800 miles on it, it has been down 3 times

11. rtevans86

rtevans86 New Member

man, i wish my mom would give me the chance to even do a report.... everytime i ask if i can get a sportbike she replies "that bike your getting better come with a new last name and a roof over your head" it's hard to say "oh ill be careful", because from what i hear it really is hard to be as safe as possible when drivers don't know how to drive around bikers...i know that i don't... but they didnt teach me that shit in drivers ed.

edit: my buddies dad says to him, "why don't you get a gun, that would be faster"

12. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

unfortunatly thsi is about what she toldme tonight, if i come home w/ a bike of any sort she will simply not help pay for college whatsoever, she was hoping that by researching it it would keep me from doing it

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Not true.
    About 50% of all motorcycle crashes are the fault of an automobile.

14. johan

johan Active Member

Interesting. Actually, by researching it you'll find out more facts vs opinions.
    And riding a bike is not an automatic death sentence.

15. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Of course you could pay for your own college... many of us have done it.

As for the danger on motorcycles, depends on where you ride. I am in a large city and use the rule I am invisible as well. Whenever I pass, change lanes etc., I make sure I have an escape point. Without it I would have been smucked a couple of times.

The safety course is excellent, but nothing beats real road experience. When I got my licence the best advice I was given was ride in the city for 30 days, slowly building up to faster roads. Then try the highway, but early weekend morning when no-one else is around... helps you build confidence without freaking out.

My worst experience was having someone turn left in front of me (I was doing 60 km/h). Went into a nice controlled skid, sorta laid the bike down and walked away without a scratch on me, and only slight scratches to the bike. Unfortunately the asshole who cut me off took off, so never got to report him to the cops.

16. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

yeah i could but if i dont have to do it all by myself i dont want to, you know what i mean, getting a motorcycle is important but not that important

yeah,, i couldnt convince her if i tried because i couldnt find many sites that would have been legit enough for her to give me any attention or sway in the matter nayhow, she only would have been happy if it were the AAA website or DOT websites and then she wouldnt have let me do it anyhow just because she didnt want me getting hurt

17. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

everyone i know with a bike (including me) has averaged about 1-2 falls/accidents a year :o

you have to realize that alot of times, the fall isnt even the rider's fault or lack of skill.... an isolated patch of gravel/oil, a soccer mom not paying attention, a tire with uneven wear.... all these things are everyday nuances for a car, but for a bike, it can be disaster....

18. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

i say dangerous and given bad name, I mean there are always some things you can never avoid. That said I still believe a lot of it is from people riding above their limit.

19. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Its definately a mix between option 3 and option 4. If your a smart, careful and defensive driver you have a really good chance of having a long and happy riding career. If your careless and you think the roads are your playground they may come back to bite you.

Thats not to say if your careful you'll be 100% safe.

20. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I have talked to people that have been riding for 40 plus years with Hundreds and thounds of miles under there belt on the other hand Ive read about people who died within first 100 miles on there first bikes.

21. Count Nigula

Count Nigula º¿º DJ º¿º

Let me change my wording. Having alot of riding buddy's on the police force tell me all kinds of stories. From hearings stories of people telling me about someone they knew or they friends, paper, news etc...

That is where im getting the figure's from, not pulling them out of my ass.

So really, your 50% is incorrect. Your giving a 50/50 answer which is a "safe" untrue answer.

22. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

i think 90% of potential bike accident's can be avoided with an alert and observant skilled rider.

But... and i say BUT... there are time's where you simply might just run into a nasty bit of road surface that you just can't do shit about to stop from going down.

Riding at night through a city for instant is a nightmare because you can't see oil coming up half the time and sometimes you can hit a nice fat spot of fresh oil some jackass didn't have the common courtesy to clean up after an accident or whatever...

i've been through a full puddle of oil once and damn nearly went down if it wasn't for my experience riding in the dirt. I'm used to a sliding bike so i just kicked off the ground and counter-steered against the direction the bike kept trying to spin into..

23. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

and 90% of cruiser wrecks are due to alcohol? :hsugh:

24. Count Nigula

Count Nigula º¿º DJ º¿º

No because of the fat harley bitches on the back :rofl:

25. 7960

7960 New Member

Hug your mom, at least she loves you.