Is now the time to build a new PC?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coddle, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I haven't been following the PC scene lately, and was wondering if I should build now or wait for something to come out. What should I do?

2. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

just do it
    theres always something new to come out

3. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

Nowadays computers become weaker by month to month sometimes weeks. We arent in the "my computer will be ok for 3 years" times anymore.

4. Hartman

Hartman New Member

true. people are always spouting shit like "wait for so and so processor, wait for this, wait for that." if you're ready to build now, build it now.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, conroe is a MAJOR technology change... and is less than a month away. I would wait for that. There will always be something faster next month, sure, but MAJOR changes come about much more sparingly.

6. Wolfden

Wolfden :trance:

I'd wait till the price slash on the cpus if your interested in the AMDs, 30-50 percent cut on a lot of their processors - July 24th Looks like the Dual Core 3800+ will be around $169.00

7. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I'm waiting for conroe to get cheaper before I buy a new computer. I can handle most games maxed out for now. once 64bit gaming becomes standard Im'a drop like 3500 and build somthing sick...probably somthing liquid cooled with bald eagle blood built into a Fabrache egg.

8. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I meant more major things, like AMD utalizing DDR2 as well as DX10 cards... that kind of stuff.

9. waterypoop

waterypoop New Member

Yeah if you play a lot of games, then wait for the second generation of dx10 cards, unless the first end up really good (which i highly doubt they will), If not then i would just wait for the conroes to come out and have fun :big grin:

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Here's a short questionnaire to help you answer your question:

1. Is your computer broken?

2. Does your computer run so slowly that you can't use it for what you need to use it for?

3. Are there no affordable upgrades available that could improve your computer's performance to meet your needs?

4. Are you going to spend your money on something less useful and more stupid than a computer, if you don't buy a computer right now?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then now is the time to buy a new computer. If you answered no to all of these questions, then now is not the time to buy a new computer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006