Is no one having trouble with Leopard and Networks?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ariez, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Im surprise there no thread here but apparently leopard is having trouble connecting to other computers. In tiger on the sidebar you usually find "networks" but disappear in leopard. :dunno:

Its not user error too because it seem to be a huge topic at Apple forums. :oMine connects for a few minutes and then gets dropped. Kinda annoying. (Actually VERY annoying).

2. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yeah, the new way of connecting to networks in Leopard sucks ass. Its listed as shares now. So if you have another computer with shared stuff on it, those should show up in finder.

I have an NAS unit for all my photo storage and its a real pain in the butt now with a Tiger and Leopard machine on the same network (not updating my Mac Pro till many of the bugs are worked out) cause the way the two different finders work will allow me to only see/connect to the NAS from one machine or the other.

When I have the volume on the NAS unprotected then I can log into it with Tiger using the admin username and PW, however Leopard does not require this particular login and the entire thing is visible to anyone on the network with no encryption. When I set a PW for the shares on the NAS, then the Tiger machine will not even see the shares, however Leopard will see it and allow me to login to the specific share on the NAS.

Pain in the butt.

On top of that I'm having a lot of internet connectivity issues with Leopard. The Tiger machine is working perfectly, but the Leopard machine will just drop certain websites here or there or even drop one while I'm actually browsing it. Other sites work great at the same time and the Tiger machine will see all the sites that the Leopard machine is having issues with.

They need to do some serious work on this OS before its really ready.

3. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

From what I know it only show up in finder if you have other macs....its a bigger pain if you have a windows machine.

4. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

5. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Lame. It would be funnier if the fail was actually larger than the OK.

6. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

I initially had problems but not anymore.

7. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

You have to fix it or you just let it "fix" by itself?

8. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

I Just went to my recent items list and what I was looking for was under servers.

9. mojito

mojito New Member

just got a mbp, so never tried it with tiger. initially it saw one PC's shared folders but not mine. But now it sees that computer and my server, just not my HD's that are shared. but i haven't messed with it much yet. It just imported my itunes library from my server without issue (136gb) and let me download random files.

If only time machine or lightroom would work off a network drive :wtc:

10. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

:werd:

11. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Ok, you can still use Apple + K and then click browse, but I found something that I find rather amusing....

This is how another Mac shows up in Cover Flow when browsing the network:
    [​IMG]

And this is a Windows Box :mamoru:
    [​IMG]