Is my weight loss plan sufficient? v. vegetarian

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by crown royal, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

I'm 23 and between 225 & 230 lbs. I am 6'1" tall. Not any muscle - I live a relatively sedintary life style.:)wtc:). I'd post pics, but camera is down. My build is average upper body, flabby stomach, bubble but, large thighs and tapering legs. I'm not a behemoth, just overweight.

I'm not trying to be broly, I just don't want to be overweight anymore. Here is my current exercise and diet:

1) I don't lift - I spend 5 days a week doing interval training on an eliptical machine. I started at 28 min with a 3 min cool down a week ago, and try to push harder everyday. At this point I am holding at about 38 min with a 5 min cool down. It is on 2 minute intervals to try to go anaerobic. I start pretty easily and every two minutes, increase the incline/resistance during the next two minutes. I do that for 2 min, then come back down, trying to vary my heart rate from fast to slow. I try to peak at about 155 for two minutes and try to relax down to 135 or less for another two, then climb again.

I know that lifting creates efficiency within your body - but I don't have time to spend more than an hour or so in the gym a day. So I just try to bust it hard on the anaerobic portion.

2) Diet:

I am a vegetarian, so I try to eat the best foods I can. For breakfast i have organic granola cereal with soy milk, or an egg and vegetarian sausage with orange juice. usually I go with the cereal since it is easiest.

For lunch I have a piece of flat bread and some hummus with an apple (maybe). Otherwise, just the hummus and bread, or a pb sandwich on fresh baked wheat, italian or ciabatta. Instead of jelly I just use the smucker's 'fresh fruit' spread with no added sugar. The lunch stays along these lines.

For dinner I have a basic vegetarian dinner - just vegetables, beans or some other protein I can eat and rice or something. Nothing out of the ordinary. I usually drink a glass of red wine an hour or two before bed.

I think it is a little misleading to list it as three meals. I don't eat that way - just eat a small portion of something when I am hungry. LIke - I might have the egg right after getting back from the gym, and a piece of dry toast a couple of hours later. Then the hummus & flat bread in the early afternoon, then some broccoli late afternoon. I try not to eat large meals, just small snacks.

Please evaluate this and let me know if it is healthy and if I will get into better shape from it. I'm not trying to get broly or anything, and I'm not setting 'weight goals.' The goals I am setting is to make sure I exercise as I need to and keep with it, and increase the intensity just a little everyday. I have been doing this for about two weeks. I can see a little difference in my face and the fat at my knees (hard to explain that one).

Thanks OT Nurtitionists!

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

grow a sack and eat some fucking meat

3. hootpie

hootpie New Member

1) Lift weights.
    2) Stop being a stupid vegetarian.
    3) Read the stickies/archives
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

4. caribou

caribou New Member

yo maine that shit made me laugh out loud.

crown royal, if your goal is to just "get in shape" you can do so spending an hour or less in the gym each day. you wont be broly, but for balance and committment to workout purposes, you should seriously incorporate lifting.

5. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

If I was a woman I would think you are a little vagina for not eating meat. :)

6. ay thunderrcat

ay thunderrcat You can have all the hoes, I'm gon keep the women.

:werd:

7. crown royal

Since this is the only constructive advice given thus far -

what do I do then? Run for 30 min or so and then lift for the rest of the time? What's a good balance?

8. crown royal

Oh. In that case, thread lock please. Just thought I could get a small amount of advise.

kthxbye.

9. ay thunderrcat

:rofl: he was being sarcastic.

10. crown royal

I read the stickies. They were informative. It seems like I am doing what needs to be done to an extent (burning calories, eating better). I just wanted my plan evaluated for accuracy or something I might be missing.

Will lifting weights really be better than intensive anaerobic exercises?

11. crown royal

I know he was - but he makes a good point. As I read through the threads - it looks like unless you are broly or trying to be broly, everything will be responded to with 'read the stickies fatass."

12. ay thunderrcat

because you SHOULD read the stickies, questions like yours are in there.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I don't see much numbers for diet. This is what's the most important.

14. Elfling

Elfling New Member

www.vegetarianbodybuilder.com
    www.billpearl.com :wiggle:

15. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

why would a human being opt not to eat meat? Fucking insanity.

16. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

Humans are omnivores, we are designed to have a balance in our diets to function correctly. Meats contain a lot of protein and amino acids essential to fuction properly, you wont get everything you need from soy and nuts. Protein is also the hardest of the macronutrience to digest, it takes the most energy, and therefore not only helps build muscle, but burns extra calories when being processed. So, in other words, you need meat, it's good and good for you. So I suggest you stop being a dike, eat some healthy lean meats every day, and establish a mild to moderate weight training routine. These things over a long period of time will be very beneficial both health wise and for your physique.

17. crown royal

Do you mean calories/protein&carb, etc? I haven't kept track, just made an effort to eat unprocessed foods that are good and useful, not sugars. I eat things I make myself, and I at least feel great.

18. crown royal

19. hootpie

hootpie New Member

If you want to lose fat, calories in < calories out. A great way to burn calories is to lift weights. Not only will you burn calories while you lift and while your body recovers, but you'll increase your muscle mass, which will make you burn even more calories. I dieted to lose fat for ~13 weeks and I lost 28lb. The most cardio I did was walking from one part of the gym to another to lift weights.

There's no good reason to be a vegetarian (unless you're allergic to meat or something like that), so cut that trendy shit out and start eating some lean meat. Watch your calories, carbs, fats, and protein, lift your ass off and you'll lose fat and gain muscle.

And remember, there are 4 D's to working out: desire, discipline, diet, and deadlifts. You have to want it, you have to stay the course, you have to eat right, and you have to perform compound movements.

20. crown royal

Per a Natural Geographic article last year, and several articles on cultural longevity, the biggest similarity in peoples and cultures that live longer than the rest (such as centenarians) is a non sedintary lifestyle and extremely low meat intake.

But I'm not here to talk about that. if you all feel like trying to convince me of something that you won't be capable of, feel free. I just want to lose weight and be healthy.

21. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Go chew on some grass hippie.

22. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

stop smoking pole

23. ay thunderrcat

as long as you feel great why do you need to ask questions when you know youll be bashed for being a vegetarian. do whatever works for you.

24. crown royal

:dunno:

I'm confident it's a good thing I'm doing - so far I feel good about it. I posted the vegetarian thing not for validation - I just wanted to let anyone who might have additional advise know that suggesting I eat chicken or lean meats isn't an option for me, and to explain why it wasn't already in my diet.

I feel good about my program and lifestyle - just wanted to post it up in case I was missing something obvious.

25. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Vegetarians living longer is an old wife's tale. Vegetarians dont live at all, they exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.