Is my server healthy? Do I need another or new one?? *Please Help*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MR2 Moogie, Feb 23, 2004.

1. MR2 Moogie

MR2 Moogie New Member

OK guys need some advice here..

I just got an IT position at a small construction company.

They have 1 Dell PowerEdge600SC 2.4ghz Pentium, 1G RAM

There are about 6-8 computers connected to it, 5-6 printers, and about 4-6 other computers that connect through a VPN during the day at misc. times.

It is running SBS 2000, ISA, and Exchange Server. They use around 2 large accounting programs, and about 2-3 HUGE construction database programs for planning and what not.. all of this is installed and run on the server. If I let the server stay up for more than a week, it tends to have 0-3% free memory by the end of the week. After a reboot it has about 40%, when all of the programs are started, but nobody using them. Some people say this isn't a problem as Exchange server typically uses alot of mem, but releases it when needed.

My question is this. I am responsible for everything here now, so I would hate for this thing to crap out on me. Does this setup seem ok? Should this server be able to handle all of this? Is it healthy?

Feel free to ask for more specifics.. I'm really looking for some good advice.
    Thanks guys

2. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

leave windows and use linux

http://www.redhat.com
    http://www.suse.com

If that's not an option just buy more RAM for it and that should extendend it's resource life. Windows sucks at managing memory, and I will never use it for a server, but that's me, I don't like to go into work on weekends to reboot a server.

Another option is pick up another box just to run Exchange on, since it's a resource intesive app. I know alot of people using exchange do that.

but I say linux .... (=

3. MR2 Moogie

MR2 Moogie New Member

luckily i can reboot the server from terminal services on my laptop :)

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

He just got the job and you want him to overhaul the server that runs the entire company? :ugh:

Any good operating system will be using all of its RAM at any given time. Otherwise RAM is wasted. Saying that the machine is near full memory usage doesn't tell us much. What we really need to know is how much swapping the machine is doing. If it starts swapping you will notice a drop in speed, and that is when you should get concerned.

If you are worried about preserving data, maybe you should look into some backup solutions before you start worrying about speed.

5. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

:ugh: Actually a good operating system would use a minimal amount of RAM/system resources, leaving RAM to be used for other programs and apps that are running.

6. MR2 Moogie

MR2 Moogie New Member

I have a pretty good backup solution at the moment, rotated daily tapes, external hard drive just for backup, and also local backup on the server.. i'll look into the swap

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

A good OS can dynamicly adjust the amount of RAM that is given to each process as it is needed. But having free RAM is just a waste wouldn't you agree?

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: Also, since he said the server is running database and accounting programs, it sounds like switching to Linux is probably not an option.

9. MR2 Moogie

MR2 Moogie New Member

Say i did want to do some upgrades.. would it be better to buy another server in addition to the current one, and just run exchange and the database programs on the new one, let the old one take care of the other processes.. or would it be better just to have one big Powerhouse server..?

10. GmH

GmH Guest

If there is no free RAM, that implies that all of it is allocated and in use by either the operating system or applications. That means when another application tries to allocate memory, there is none free and the machine will have to go into swap to free some up. This is a great way to drop performance by a couple of orders of magnitude.

A good operating system should use the least possible amount of memory it can, and manage the rest in such a way as to keep as much of it available for application use as possible without swapping.

11. zatar

zatar New Member

IMO, if funding is available, I would try to get another server or 2. Instead of completely overhauling your entire network, I would try to move the database programs to a new server. I would also try to isolate the accounting stuff to a separate server. I personally don't like accounting stuff to be accessible to people that don't need it.

I haven't dealt with sbs2000 in quite sometime, but you might run into problem's if you try and move the exchange piece.

12. Maverick

Maverick Guest

I agree with what Rob98ZJ said, if the OS isn't using ALL the RAM then it's being wasted. Look at OT, almost all the time, the entire 4GB of RAM is 100% used.

13. OT != multiple database application and Exchange server

far different demands/needs/delivery

14. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

what about increasing it's SWAP??
    what does it have for swap now??

15. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yes, separate the different functions onto different computers. There are tonnes of benefits from load balancing, program conflicts, fault tolerence. You could then, as some of linux nazi's have mentioned, use linux for some of the functions. I'd take 5 shitty computers over one kick ass server in that environment.