Is my PSU dying?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coddle, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Coddle

Coddle New Member

My Thermaltake PureSilent 480watt PSU might be dying, but I'm not sure. The 3.3v has been running at about 2.8-3.0 for the past day or two. A system monitor (Asus Probe) started warning me about it, and kept saying "CPU test failed" Does this mean my psu is dying? And, does anybody know the approximated warranty on one of these? Thermaltake doesn't have a number to call, and they don't list the warranty on their website (my PSU is no longer manufactuered, bought it April of 2005 off of newegg).

I am done with Thermaltake, what are some good psu manufactures? I heard OCZ is good, but I forgot if they even make psu's.

2. Poon

Poon New Member

try Antec or Enermax pay more but better.

3. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

My brother had the same one, it kicked out after 1.5 years.

I'm personally a fan of Rosewill and Silverstone...no one offers better value, and very few companies are more reliable than Silverstone. Hell, Falcon Northwest uses them.

I have a SilverStone Strider 400w...Newegg no longer sells it, but I paid $50 and this thing is INSANE. Very high rated amperage, on par with most 500w units...Amazing finish, very clean looking internals, a totally silent 120mm fan that pushes A TON of air into my case, rock-solid rails that never fluctuate, I could seriously go on and on about this thing.

It's been running this since June with not even the smallest hiccup:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ OC'd to 3200+ (190FSB)
    Gigabyte Radeon X800XL AGP 256MB
    Chaintech 7NIL1 Motherboard (nForce2 Ultra400)
    1GB PC2100 RAM
    Samsung 200GB EIDE HDD
    Samsung 40x CD-ROM
    Lite-On 52x CD-RW

4. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I have a XP2500 too, but i think my computer may have fried already. power goes on, but nothing boots up, not even the bios :wtc: