Is my monitor going to die?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VashTheStampede, Feb 7, 2007.

1. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

First off it's a CRT, and is about 5 years old. I just noticed today that it is starting to dim slightly and erratically. The picture quality is still very good though. Should I start looking for a new monitor? And yes, I know I should have upgraded it already, but I just haven't found a replacement that I like yet.

2. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

If it's erratic, it could be a loose solder joint. That's the most common problem with older CRTs. As it warms up, the wires expand and the connection gets bad. That's why sometimes a monitor or TV will work fine at first, then go out. If you know someone with some electronics skills, he could take it apart and check the connections.

But more than likely it's gonna die.

3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Myaswell just buy a new lcd. Save your self space and the headache of trying to fix it. Watch newegg and tigerdirect, they have some pretty good deals on some nice LCDs.

4. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

Space isn't really an issue witht he way my desk is designed. I hope it is dying though. :x: I just noticed it yesterday, and now today it seems to be fine. I might just crack open the casing and check the wires though. This way it should last long enough for me to get the money together for a really nice new LCD, because I really don't want to use my spare one, since it's smaller.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Nowadays you can get a 19" LCD for $200 on Newegg.com. I'm gonna get one for my ofice to replace the ten-year-old ViewSonic CRT I'm using. 100Hz refresh rate is nice, but no flicker is better.

6. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Go widescreen if you can afford it. The 20.1" Viewsonics were going for $250 after rebate like 6 months ago, so they might be even cheaper now.

I love mine. 1680x1050. The extra width allows me to work easier with windows side by side for reference when I need to, and it just seems more natural.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Great exuse to buy yourself a beautifull new lcd. Once you have lcd you never want to go back anyway.