A&P is my monitor calibration off? (pics)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Derrict, May 13, 2006.

1. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Some random person posts a picture (see below) that had some excessive noise, so I remove it and post the revised pic. Random noob comes along and says "omg, you changed the color of the original, die bastard!"

[​IMG]

I checked in 3 spots the colors on the RGB scale and it's pretty damn close. For the love of god, I can't see much difference in color between the two images other than in the ripples where the noise was removed so it's less greenish.

2. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

they look the same (colorwise) to me

3. redna

redna New Member

the right is slightly darker, but no color change really..

4. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

no colour change.

this is about the point you realise that arguing with people in the internet is a total waste of time. just get on with what you do.

5. DCM

DCM New Member

:werd: someone needs their eyes checked. You can see the difference in the noise, but I don't notice a color change either.

6. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

:werd:

edit: nude pics

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  7. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

the one on the left seems to have brighter colors to me (but not by a whole lot)

8. macadamiamin

macadamiamin New Member

The one on the right appears darker - but mostly just because noise, intrinisically, is "bright" - I mean it's non-dark spots all over the darkness of the picture - remove them and you've got more of the original picture's darkness. So really, you made his colors more accurate to what they should have been originally, by removing that noise. Why is it so noisy during daytime, anyway? 1600 ISO?

9. Derrict

Arguing with idiots on the internet is fun even though they'll never admit when they're wrong. Myspace photography groups > *

The person that posted the pic was shooting with a Nikon D70, ISO was only 400 but the noise was still pretty bad so I fixed it up and posted a revised version.

10. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

I don't really get peoples' obsession with noiseless images. Viewing the original from a typical distance I don't notice the noise unless I look closely at the blue areas.

Low noise is good but sometimes you want it for effect. In the film days you would deliberately chose 800 or 1600 film for a specific effect. The main thing with digital is that chroma noise is distracting, monochromatic noise is not. So a camera with high chroma noise is best used at low ISO speeds.

11. Derrict

I resized the image down to fit in the forum; viewing the original size, the noise is evident.

12. Why are you wasting your time with these idiots?

Does it feel good to help them out by spending your time fixing their pics then having them telling you to "die bastard" as a way of saying "thank you for your time spent and effort?

I woudlnt waste my time with them unless you were getting some kinda contribution or $$. Time = $$

13. Dongsy Normus

Dongsy Normus fag

more muted, like the blue on the water to the left of the ducks is dull

14. Derrict

Some people that actually read the advice will learn from it and take better pics. There are a few idiots that are the exception.

15. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

werd.

In most of my shots I don't want to see noise...like...at all. But in some I'll shoot 3200 and underexpose a little to give it an older, grainy feel....or if i'm feeling lazy i'll just add some in cs2 later on.