Is my Mobo dead or is it my RAM?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illu5ionz, Apr 4, 2007.

1. illu5ionz

illu5ionz New Member

My comp started lagging really bady. It would lock up for 2 seconds, then be fine, and then lock up again. This happened every ten seconds. It progressively got worse until finally, it took 10 minutes to boot and nearly 2 days for me to back up about 40 gigs of my stuff.

Formatted and installed Vista tonight. No go. First try was Vista Ultimate which took about 2 hours and it never booted up. Second try was Vista Home Premium. Took about 2 hours but it lagged extremely badly taking me through the configuration screens. An hour into it, i called it quits.

I tried formatting and going back to XP. In the beginning of the XP install, it froze on "Examining disk..."

I don't know what else to do. I'm convinced now something's blown and I'm thinking it's my 1) Mobo, 2) RAM, or 3) Hard drive. What do guys think? Any suggestions on what to do/try? Thanks.

If it helps, I built this comp myself about 2 years ago. AMD Athlon 2700+, ECS mobo, 1 gig DDR RAM, 160 GB Seagate HDD (just popped it in a year ago).

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ecs mobo... lol.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The age of the disk doesn't really matter; it could already be dying. listen closely (put it up to your ear if you need to) for repetitive clicking sounds instead of the normal non-repetitive sounds that a healthy drive makes when it's in use.