Is my HDD dead/dying?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr J, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Mr J

Mr J New Member

Got 2 SATA drives in my machine. One of them is fine and has XP installed plus another partition. I must have fucked up on the install though as the primary part of the drive ended up being F: instead of C:

Anyways my other drive is playing up. I've had Knoppix installed on it previously but wanted to just stick it in this machine and format it for use as storage. The thing is it doesn't always get detected by windows. It's always seen in the bios or when I boot up. Windows seems to detect it sometimes, other times it doesn't know it's there. When I've tried to format it from disk management, it doesn't work. In the error log I've been getting stuff like

I've even tried using safe mode to format it but it doesn't let me - probably disables some service that it requires.

Any ideas what I can do? I've also tried 2 different SATA cables and tried connecting it to other ports. I think my motherboard is running the drives in IDE mode so I don't have any sort of RAID setup.

The drive is a 500gb Seagate Barracuda SATA2

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

When installing Windows, disconnect all other hard drives and only create the one partition that Windows will be installed on. That way you can be guaranteed that it will get the drive letter C:.

I dunno what's going on with your drive firmware; see if the manufacturer has an update. If they don't, or if they do but you can't install it, send the disk back for an exchange.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

your computer have a media card reader in it?