Is my harddrive about to explode?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by paintslinger, Oct 23, 2005.

1. paintslinger

paintslinger New Member

is my hard drive about to explode? Just rescently my laptop has been running really slow. ive run virus scans and all of that shit and nothing has come up. About the time it started slowing down it started making a ticking sound every couple days and the computer would lock up for 3 or 4 seconds then be fine. Also transfering files from my hard drive to an external one is really slow. Should i get a new harddrive?
    Thanks

2. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

ticking sounds from the hard drive = very very bad

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

:werd: That's the sound of a ticking time bomb you're sitting on. Good luck on getting all your stuff off before it goes. Don't turn the machine off until you have a backup. If you do, it might never boot up again.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like the spindle motor is going bad. Grab your documents and run.

5. paintslinger

paintslinger New Member

ive got all my important shit backed up. its not a constant ticking its just every once in a while. does that make a difference?

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah if its just every once in a while it might be ok. My old laptop did that. The system ran fine and diagnostics never found a problem. I guess it was just thermal recalibration. Get your hands on the diagnostic utilty for your drive and run a full scan. But since you said its clicking AND running slow, it still sounds like a bad drive.