SRS Is My Future Even Achiveable?, Starting From NOTHING to Something.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by alwaysth, May 19, 2008.

1. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

PREFACE: Here's the deal, finally worked it out with one of my distant parents to fill out a FASA form, so I can get some support from the government with college tution. I've been accepted into a community college [2year, then 2 at a university]. Currently, I have no credit, no car, a steady standard job, and the basic living material.

GOALS/PAYMENTS: First I'll need housing, since the community college does'nt offer it, I'll be forced to get an apartment; [no freinds from roomies either.] Next, I'll need a car to get to school, and finally the big one money to pay off college tution.

Now, considering I have 3 more months left of "free" housing from another close relative, and the rest of the summer with a grandparent I have a short time to get things worked out before I'm homeless. What I need to do is open a credit card and start building credit, but what should I do for all other expenses?. Is it possible for me to work while in school, and afford everything else at the same time, I've read stories it is, but I'm doing this all on my OWN with NO support. I want to be something, and everyday I strive to say up money into my savings/checking account to hopefully nic off that huge bill at end, I'm in need of some serious suggestions.. Where do I start with my current foundation of dreams and plans.

[Also if it matters, I've alot of new companies/business ideas I want to start at the same time, and for four years now I told myself I should be motivation to achieve them. Alone, it will take around 2 more months to fund these projects. And if possible, they could be something to fall back on, money wise.]

Thanks OT, with regards. :hsd:.

2. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Tution is around $4,400 [3 quarters]. - FASA support.[/FONT]

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The basis is money. Without it you are fucked. What you need is a basic student job and use public transport or find someone who can bring you to school because at this moment i don't see a possibility to get a car, cars are expensive. What you need to find is a basic apartment in close vacinity of the school and a basic job also near the place, that cab pay for the rent and immediate needs.

Its ok that you have idea's but what you need now is a survival strategy that works.

1. Find a good paying Job.
    2. Find a good place to live in.
    3. Find Transport.

Hell if you can reduce distance you don't need a car , a bike or scooter might just do the trick as wel.

Always Set priorities, Money first, finding yourself a room mate who's reliable not loud and not on drugs is also important. That way you can cut down costs , student life is about making concessions.

Cutting down expenses to the max, so to speak.

4. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

I'm currently making around $10hr looking for a raise to $12hr talking to my boss today since I've been there 2 years, and it's only 10 min away from the community college. I've been looking at apartments the lowest around here is $500+ a month since it's the upper-class area. I remember seeing a few junky apartment spaces awhile ago, most likely they are $250 - $300 max in their conditions. I have about a grand saved up, I'm considering getting a dealer-financed car through another relative's dealership at a pay-back later plan or second choice buy a beater. I've been walking to work since I was about 14, enough is enough, however it's too far of a walk/ride from the apartments I'm looking at. :hs:; thanks for the help!--

5. althepirate

althepirate Talk nerdy to me.

Get a scooter. Under $2000, they go the speed limit, and get at least 70mpg.

Or a 250cc motorcycle if you can't handle a scooter.

6. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Sorry this is kind of sporadic- I'm at work and don't have a ton of time :rofl:

First of all, it's 100% possible- just depends on how bad you want it. You're going to have to make quite a few sacrifices and you're not going to be able to live the most comfortable or glamorous life, but you can surely make it happen.

Start a budget. I make mine in MS Excel and it's sooo nice to have. I have it projected for the entire year and every time I add or subtract money, it adjusts itself. Its really easy to make and use and (the best part, IMO) is being able to look at it and see that if you spend the extra money you have now, you'll be overdrawn 4 months from now.

250-300 for rent is amazing, I don't care what kind of shit hole it is. If you're tight on money, MAKE it work.

Pell grant for school. It'll pay for school and some living expenses. Go talk to financial aid office pronto. they'll have several options for you.

Do you work full time? You're going to have to if you don't already. Yeah it's a lot with school, but plenty of us do it and it's not difficult, it's just a lot of hard work.

I would NOT go financing ANYTHING right now. You need to wait a few months after school starts so you know what your financial situation looks like. The last thing you want is to go destroying your credit and getting yourself into mounds of debt right as you move out on your own. You'll never get anywhere going that route. If you really need and car and can't take public transportation for whatever reason, buy a beater from someone's yard and get a better one when you know for sure you can afford it.

How's the public transportation near you btw?

7. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

I used to own one of these, when i was 14 loved it, and still miss it. Around $900 and super cheap on gas.
    http://www.thetoybrokers.com/peds/GSR40.10.jpg

I'm considering a SALVAGE street bike, right now actually for low $. :hsd: