Is my computer dying?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by whammy, May 26, 2006.

1. whammy

whammy Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness OT Supporter

I don't know what's going on. I just got a new WD3200 hard drive. It's working fine. A week later when I click on the drive it's saying "The disk in drive F: is not formatted. Format now?" I've took it out of my computer and replaced it with my other hard drive. Just a few minutes ago I clicked on a documents file and I'm receiving the same message. I can click on other files and not have that happen. On the hard drive which has Windows XP when I delete a file the file is deleted but a message pops up saying "Cannot delete desktop. Data Error (CRC)" Does anybody know what this could be? Why is this all happening at the same time? My brother was looking at my computer a couple of weeks ago and mentioned my power supply wasn't large enough. Does that have to do with my issues. It is a Fortron Source 300W Power Supply.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

CRC = Cyclic Redundancy Check. It's a way to check for unintended changes in a block of data. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check

To make sure I understand:

1. This problem just started showing up after you got a new hard drive.
    2. When you put a different hard drive in the same place as the new one, you get the same problem.

CRCs can be caused by bad media or poor signal strength, among other things. To check if the cable is bad, replace the cable; they're only a couple bucks apiece, just make sure you get a 40-pin 80-wire cable. (you may have broken a weak wire inside the cable when you replaced the drive, and now it doesn't transmit the signal cleanly.) To check if the drive is bad, plug it into another computer and see if it works fine. If the drive and the cable are both good, then your motherboard (or add-in disk controller) may be to blame.

300W should be enough to run a light desktop computer. CPUs suck about 100W on the high side, and drives pull about 50W apiece. If your computer is loaded down with PCI cards, cooling fans, multiple hard drives, and perhaps video cards that need extra power connectors, then your power supply should be upgraded, though that isn't necessarily what's causing your disk problem.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wattage has little to do with it. I would take a 300W Forton PSU over a 450W Antec.

4. whammy

whammy Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness OT Supporter

I really appreciate your help guys. I wanted to keep you updated on the situation. Unfortunately I only have one day a week off to be able to find this cable. I went to my local computer repair shop and they did not have any of those cables for sell. He tried to sell me some neon hard drive cables but I declined. He suggested Office Depot but they didn't have them. Office Max didn't either. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get to another shop but my schedule is pretty tight.

Back at the house I disconnected the hard drive cables and left the sata hard drive hooked up. The computer works fine now. No errors or anything.

I put the other drives one by one in an external drive which I hooked up to my mom's computer. They register. I'm still receiving the this drive has not been formatted message though. I guess everything on there is gone :wtc:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try running a chkdsk on it; there's an outside chance that it will fix the problem.

If you buy your hardware off Newegg.com you'll probably save money and definitely save time.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that won't fix it, and it could kill it.

chkdsk doesn't do anything that SeaTools doesn't do beter.