Is my company's IT director crazy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Market Garden, Mar 21, 2008.

1. I work at a small company with a 2 person IT department. We currently have a bunch of Poweredge 2950s that we want to upgrade their RAM so that we can virtualize a number of servers on them. The most RAM that Dell says we can have is 32GB on each server, that would be 8x4GB chips. My supervisor claims that somewhere he heard people talking about something like a PCI card with RAM slots on it that would allow us to expand past 32GB. Does anyone know about this, or is he making things up?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

We have those exact same servers for the same purpose. Creepy.

(looks over his shoulder real quick)

I think he's making things up. There is no way in hell a PCI slot would be able to handle transferring data as fast as RAM is designed for -- we're talking terabytes per second here.

In any event, those machines have 2x quad-core CPUs, so that's 8 cores total. At 32GB of RAM, that's works out to 4GB per core, which is plenty of RAM for each VM -- the maximum, in fact, if the VMs are running 32-bit OSes.

By the way, VMware Server is free now; don't bother with Microsoft Virtual Server unless you don't have a choice.

3. Yeah, that's what I was thinking (especially the bandwidth problem of using PCI), but he insists he heard of one. :dunno: Of course it's my job to try and find one. The virtualized servers would be running x64 OSes though.

4. deusexaethera

Our servers are running WS2003x64, but most of the VMs are running x86 just because most of the apps we need to run on them aren't compatible with x64 yet. It's easy to replace VMs, but don't bother wasting license keys on x64 VMs unless you know the applications running on them will work right.

My guess is this is what he's remembering: http://techreport.com/articles.x/9312. Except it's a RAM disk, not just extra RAM.

5. I saw that on newegg yesterday. It was the only thing that I could find that had both RAM and PCI together. I think I'll go in this morning and tell my supervisor that he's nuts.

6. deusexaethera

Make sure to use profanity; it helps get the point across.

7. Half of the words spoken by us each day are profanities. Usually they are directed at M$.

8. deusexaethera

Most of my company's foul language is in reference to Autodesk and ESRI; comparatively, Windows is quite cooperative.

9. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

He's not entirely crazy, just old and senile. Such a thing existed, but it was back in the pre-pentium days. AT-style buses (and others possibly, I don't remember) allowed expansion cards with more RAM slots, but this was back in the 286/386 days. So they did exist, but like you say, not practical these days with RAM speeds.

10. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Push for ESX, it will allow better memory management/less overhead than VMWare Server or Virtual Server.

11. deusexaethera

ESX is nice, but at least using VMware Server will get them in the door -- if they start out using MS Virtual Server, the cross-platform incompatibility will probably keep them from ever using VMware.

12. We're looking at Citrix XenServer, XenApp, and XenDesktop. Right now I've just got 1 server virtualized with VirtualServer 2005.

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm curious, because i've been meaning to try VMWare. Are you saying that because VMware's is better than Microsoft's?

14. deusexaethera

VMs in VMware Server seem to run faster than VMs in MS Virtual Server, and VMware splits virtual disk files into 2GB segments to make it easier to defrag the host machine's hard drive. Other than that, using VMware Server just makes it easier for me to obey the rule that I will never buy hardware (real or virtual) from the same company that sold me my OS. There are just too many conflicts of interest when companies start integrating vertically, and I'm willing to sacrifice some compatibility for extra flexibility.

15. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Glad to see you saw the light after our last discussion of VMWare versus Virtual server :bigthumb:

16. deusexaethera

Oh, I always knew VMware was the superior product, but I didn't know there was a free version. Thanks for the tip.

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yes, i just read about that today in my server book for class...scary how they still find the need to teach stuff that like that

18. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker