MMA Is modern day MMA really what you expect when you hear the term?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by joechunkybutt2, Feb 6, 2006.

1. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

I would love to see a show where you have a TKD black belt vs. a Boxer, a wrestler vs. karate. or kung fu vs jiu jitsue, etc.

I think originally the UFC was supposed to do this and then the Gracie's basically spanked everyone with BJJ and made it a practical requirement for any future competitors who wanted to fight. Now a days it seems that the best fighters are a mixture of bjj/grappling (atleast enough to defend) and boxing/kickboxing.

I understand its all part of evolution, and as a result the weaker martial arts have been eliminated (you won't see a traditional shaolin monk winning fights in MMA).

I just wish there was an org that pitted those match ups I listed above without having the fight be too boring.

2. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

its been done, and it was a mess. see the first few UFCs.

3. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Why would you wish for that? It would only last for so long before everyone who lost decided that they didn't want to lose anymore and started transitioning towards more practical martial arts (as is the case now). What I think might happen is that once people get really good at the basics, you will see more flash in their game. This seems to be happening right now. Spinning back kicks, high roundhouse kicks, spinning back-fists, etcetera, were all taboo not so long ago.

4. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Modern MMA is what I exactly expected it to be. MMA=Mixed Martial Arts, I love it for what it is. I admit those style vs style matchups were "amusing" but not something I would watch because I would get bored of it quite quickly to tell you the truth.

Besides those guys would evolve on their own anyways, you can't expect a wrestler going into a fight with a boxer not knowing any stand-up or how to avoid stand-up and vice versa in this day of age.

5. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

the older ufcs were sort of fun to watch... but at the same time pretty ridiculous. Joe son getting punched in the nuts by Hackney...

6. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

GSP FOR THE WIN!

7. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I think a style vs style promotion would be a step back in excitement.

8. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

If Vince McMahon bought UFC I would puke and then lose all interest in contact sports all together because he would of demoralized the last pure sport in this world.:nono:

9. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

There's still style vs. style fights, but they're harder to find. Not mainstream enough.
    MMA today pisses me off.

10. MyLittleAirport

Why?

11. They have style vs style in ISKA and K1. They are real stand up fights but no matter what the styles everyone ends up using kickboxing because under these rules it is the most efficient way to fight. Even when you have pure karate or TKD rules there are some occasional flashy moves that rely heavily on your opponent making a dumb mistake but other than that it looks like an uncontrolled street fight.

When I think of the word martial arts I think of the oriental arts, which is not something MMA represents. MMA to me is more like fighting for sport.

12. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Cause they don't do anything new. It's been a long time since I've seen any new techniques in like two years. I never see good fighters anymore, just ones that suck less than others. Nobody feints, parries, baits, etc... They barely have any throws. It might as well be (bad) Muay Thai and BJJ and that's it. Instead of having all four ranges, they just have punching and grappling. Also, too many rules.

13. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

Thats my favorite (as in funny as hell) past UFC moment. Or the first UFC, where Telia Tuli a sumo wrestler, fights Gerard Gordeau a savate fighter. Tuli goes for a charge ( i guess he was "trying" to shoot) gets side stepped by Gordeau, who them kicks him in the face, followed by a punch, and the ref takes like 5 seconds to see that Tuli isn't able to fight.

Ahh... the good ol days

14. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

"Ones that suck less then others"? Pretty big claim right there man, what is your fighting/training experience? Maybe you could enlighten us on who in this freaking world could get into a ring/cage with any of the top UFC/Pride fighters and exploit their "suckiness", seeing as they are poor fighters with lame skills.

I understand you want to see Jacki Chan in the ring, maybe we can give them some weapons, and chairs, shit like that. Then we can all bite our nails wondering who is going to die in the ring while we are wow by series of explosive combinations, throws, and "secret moves". I was almost going to say you had a valid point but once I put 30 seconds into thinking about your comment I realized you live in a fantasy world. Get a real perspective man, this is MMA at it's finest.

15. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I miss the stuff like david vs goliath matches.... that was UFC 8 right?

16. MyLittleAirport

Thats.. pretty dumb. Might as well hate boxing cause they've been using the same techniques the last 100 years or kickboxing cause they've been using the same techniques the last 30-40 years.

And whats wrong with having Muay Thai and BJJ as a base? They've both been proven to be very effective, what would you rather see? Kung fu/JJJ? And see them get their ass whooped?

Too many rules.. if you want biting, eye gouging, groin shots, then you can go outside and get in a fight yourself. This is a sport, not streetfighting. Don't get the two mixed up.

17. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I love modern MMA, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Instead of a BJJ guy mowing through everyone else, we have everyone training the same for the most part. These days the guy who sweats the most in training, and thinks the most in the ring is going to win.

In the early days everyone was so unskilled except for a select few, and every fight they had was a horrible mismatch. No sport in that.

18. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I would really like to see how a young mike tyson would handle himself in an MMA fight with a basic knowledge of takedown defense and how to use the guard. Smaller gloves on someone who hits like tyson would be vicious.

19. MyLittleAirport

I would love to see that also, maybe in a decade or so, we'll start seeing fighters like that.

20. damiand

damiand Proceed

That fucker in your av has rendered any martial art obsolete...:squint:

BUt seriously... MMA is great right now.

21. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Chuck Liddell :dunno:

22. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

I've seen him. I'm not impressed.

23. They try that shit all the time. It doesn't work because the top MMA fighters are very agile with great reflexes, strength, power, and instinct. They have great defense and can see that silly shit coming a mile away.

Throws don't happen because there are too few opportunities for them. If you get close enough for a throw you will either get hit or get clinched and dominated. There are quite a few Judo and Sambo fighters in MMA. Most of the time it's easier to just get a simple takedown.

And as for rules, the fighters get hurt enough as it is.

24. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

karo uses some slick ass judo throws :dunno: it's just hard without a gi on, he's a badass at it tho

25. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

I'm gonna assume you just mean the throwing, because good boxers use baiting and feints all the time. MMA fighters have horrible defenses. When I see one of them parry and trap an arm and land some hit on the other guy, then I'll say they have good defense. Usually they just jerk themselves backwards if a hit is coming. Even if it's obviously not going to come close to hitting them. Same for kicks, just jump back, instead of maybe jumping in and doing something.

Throws don't happen because most of them don't train them enough and don't train them right. They don't know how to react against someone who's not just trying to throw. If someone went MMA and put something like Sanshou in their style they'd probably be able to pull off some throws.

They should just put them out there and tell them not to kill or mutilate the other guy and that's it.