is .mac worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Furner, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

I have two macs now, and I plan on starting to use iCal, and it would be nice to have the same info on both machines. It would be nice to have all my mac info follow me between my desktop and my laptop.

if I already have an apple id, can I add .Mac to that id, or do I have to create a new apple Id?

2. Minnesota Fats

Minnesota Fats Family Guy>*

you can use one you already have

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

not really worth it in my view...

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

I like my .Mac, I share files with other .Mac people, I use the webspace as well. I've been with it for a few years now.

5. skelm

skelm New Member

I use it heaps betweem work and home... Seem to have a lot of problems with the mail not always working so abandoned using it and just stuck to synchronising my iCal.

Other then the mail, no real problems.

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I've got it and have a hard time justifying the cost, but in the past the backup application alone was worth it. :dunno: I would archive my app preferences, mail, calendars, address book etc. and shuttle it home via my iPod -- restore from archive and it was like my desktop never left :cool: for some reason though, backup 3 seems to have broken this kind of support :sad2:

for things like iCal there are WebDAV tutorials on how keep the same functionality without paying apple for .mac services, just google it :cool:

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I have it and even though it isn't the cheapest or anywhere near, its a great alternative to webspace. I store quite a bit of information on there for forums and such and the bandwidth limit is much higher than earthlink. Is it worth $99? maybe, maybe not.

8. Furner

Furner New Member

its not really the webspace as much as the sync services. i signed up for a trial last night, and all i have experienced so far is about a 50% chance that the sync will fail for some reason or another. All I am syncing is iCal, I am going to look into WebDAV because my desktop mac is a webserver anyways, so I could just find a way for my ibook to just sync up with my desktop, and it would probably be faster, easier and cheaper than .mac