WEB Is Joomla the new hotness?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ebtek, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

is it > than Drupal?

thinking of doing something with it.

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

where in the hell did you hear that at?

from what i have read and talked to people about, it is ok, but you can do more with drupal than joomla

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Joomla? New? :rofl:

No, it derived from the cesspool known as Mambo.

But Joomla itself isn't bad. It's good for what it does. However, Drupal's back-end is far more powerful than Joomla's.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Joomla is more user friendly however.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

And WordPress wins all as far as GUI and userfriendliness.

6. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

Everyone under the sun seems to be a joomla developer lately, makes me like drupal better strangely

7. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Maybe you just don't like to jump on the bandwagon. Just because something is popular doesn't always mean that it is better then x, y, and z.

You have to pick the right tool (CMS) for the job. Sometimes, things like Drupal or Joomla are just too robust for the average user and may turn people off. However, Wordpress is something that isn't as powerful, but gets huge points from me from a usability standpoint.

Our design firm as been leveraging Joomla as our main CMS for about a year and half now. I can tell you it ha come along way since when we first started using it. Joomla 1.5 was a great step in the right direction and 1.6 will help further that, but again it is not for everyone.

8. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

My reasoning for liking the underdog more isn't actually about it's stellar performance. It just appears to be more elusive for some reason, people have heard of it, but they know it's harder to work with, so the ability to produce with it gets good responses from clients for some reason.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

In all fairness, Joomla used to drastically out perform Drupal (4.7 and 5). That's because of Drupal's core design architecture and it's page caching at the time. Those hundreds of system hooks did hinder server-side performance. Drupal would automatically attempt to send compressed pages in attempt to reduce client-side performance. But the result of this caused even more server-side performance issues. Drupal 6, with many modifications, and a complete rebuild of their menu system, has a default Drupal install performing 50% faster than a Joomla install. And with caching enabled, Drupal performed over 300% faster than Joomla.

Through my research, I've come across these two known facts (I would consider them facts).

1. Drupal is better performing, and extremely more flexible (due to the system hook architecture).
    2. Joomla is much more user friendly and easier to adapt.

Although Drupal is a more difficult system to learn, I always tend to go the route of power, flexibility, and rapid development. And because of that, Drupal has been my choice.

Despite what site a CMS is on, I really try to keep the client away from the administration panel at all costs. Unless they require to do updates or require access to do certain functions, ie news and blog posts. User interfaces can be dumbed down for average users to utilize. Not to mention administration themes can help assist with that as well.

10. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I don't think there is anything more user unfriendly than Drupal :rofl:

Have you had time to check out the Drupal 7 UX project though? Looks like they are going to squash its biggest bug once and for all.

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

It can be very un-userfriendly, but I think things can be done with it to assist its user friendliness. It's just difficult to grasp the concept of it unless they have a mind of a developer.

Haven't had a chance to keep up with Drupal. I'm taking a step away from it at the moment to work on some other things.

12. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

I agree, I like to build my own little admin area with shiny icons that allow access to the few places they need to touch.. Makes Drupal seems user friendly to them.