Is it worth the trouble to build a carputer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TripleFive, Dec 4, 2007.

1. TripleFive

TripleFive Someone Sell Me A Porsche! OT Supporter

I just had the itch to put a computer in my dd.

My rough plan is to use an old dell lappy with a borked screen.
    What I want to do is mount the lappy with or w/o the screen under the pass seat then hard wire a power inverter. I would also run a usb cable up through the center console to plug my cell phone in so I can use it as a modem. (I have unlimited data on my cell plan)
    I would then need source a touch screen of some kind and mount to the dash or find a factory nav unit to hack up. I would like to keep the factory head unit though. I can run the lappy audio to the aux input of the stock unit for MP3's, movies, and what not.

I am sure I am missing something. I need to start on a wiring diagram.
    I just think it would be cool to have internet access at all times while driving, not just when you can find a wireless connection to steal from.

If anyone has experience with something like this please feel free to tell me how stupid the idea is.

2. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Sounds like you are on the right track. Have you ever considered just using a tablet PC?

Or something like this...
    [​IMG]

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I say do eet. And post pics of the project. I would consider doing your research before hacking things up though. I have no advice for you except that I would like to see the progress.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Not worth the effort. Buy a UMPC or a PDA and keep it handy instead.

What will you ever use a computer for? Any basic stereo can play mp3s now, and you have your pick of GPSes with voice controls. A carputer is for bragging rights only.

5. itsover954

itsover954 New Member