Is it worth my while to get a Dell?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by -=Likwid=-, Oct 22, 2004.

1. -=Likwid=-

-=Likwid=-

i built every machine i've ever owned, but now i'm having a tough time getting the price down to what Dell can offer.

I've currently got a 1.4 thats just lagging down from normal use, and i've done everything to increase its performance.

thoughts?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

It is much harder to build these days and still 'compete' with the big brands - namely Dell. I love their machines, they are always whisper quiet -- my home built computer sounds like its ready to take off but that is that.

Thankfully their systems offer a standalone XP CD so if you want to format and reinstall when you get it you won't have the extra junk they try to put on you.

As for upgrading in the future you usually won't have as much luck unless you build yourself -- if when you upgrade you just buy a new machine then you'll be fine.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

building yourself is always faster and cheaper than dell.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i don't have a problem with dell for corporate purchases, but for home use i remain skeptical. if you can build your own machine that is usually the best way. if the cost difference is really that close, compare component for component. make sure they aren't shorting the mobo or vid or something. if they really can match it, hey! goforit