GUN Is it worth it to buy a good gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GiantRutgersFan, Aug 16, 2007.

1. if your just using it just in case you need it, is there really any point in shelling out like $600+ for a decent handgun?

If its just gonna sit your drawer your whole life unless you get robbed or some shit like that.

idk bro. what do you think.

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I know that when it comes to things that could possibly save my life I like to cut corners in order to save a couple of bucks. Do I buy just a Glock or a Jennings AND an Xbox 360? I think the answer is pretty simple. :hsugh:

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

If your your property, security, and maybe life don't mean that much to you, then by all means get a cheap gun that does nothing but sit in a drawer after however many range trips it takes you to convince yourself that you're ready.

If that time comes, maybe you'll just need to brandish it and demonstrate a willingness to use it. Maybe you'll have to use it and then it comes down to whether or not it works and whether or not you are proficient enough to use it effectively.

Of course, maybe you'll like shooting it with some regularity and may regret buying a cheap gun.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Stick to the main forum. :h5:

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

6. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

why would you buy a cheap gun even if your life did not depend on it?

7. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I've been down that road. Buying a cheap gun, even just for target shooting/plinking, it was an agrivating experience.

I bought an AMT Backup .380, and it sucked hard. I spent more than 4 hours in that gun, polishing every mechanical surface, including the feed ramp. I could never get it to function right, and after all that, the gun shop I sold it to said it was the "nicest feeling AMT they have ever seen", but it still didn't work.

I bought a Sig P232 after that, and man it was a huge jump. It never jamed, never failed to fire, and never had any need to get worked on. I traded that gun in for a Smith and Wesson M&P 9, and I've never had an issue with it either. Both of those guns cost twice as much or more than the AMT, but it was definately worth it.

8. Look at the cost of the gun.

Let's say it is $1000

Do a Present value or a Future value of total earnings and spending in your life it is probably only a few % even if you buy an expensive one.

9. david in german

david in german OT Supporter

Think of it like insurance.. Do you want liability on your Testarosa or full coverage for a little more money? Get the good gun.

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

nope, just go pick up a throw away off the street. :cool:

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

You got a link to a good pottery forum?

12. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I would say you can get a good reliable gun that will save your life for significantly less than $600 but the point stands that it is bad practice to buy a "cheap" gun. An inexpensive revolver will not cost you too much but will be very reliable in the even tyou need it after sitting in a drawer for 4 yrs.

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I dropped around ~500 on my defensive handgun, but it also my daily carry gun and I practice with it every so often. With a gun that you may be using to protect or save your life, I would spend enough to get a reliable gun that you can hit a human form with at a range that will allow you to hit from across a room.

14. damn bro I been shooting guns all my life. I dont need no stinking class