Is it worth fleshing out?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slurms McKenzie, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

I bought a Mac Pro when I started school, I'm looking to do a lot of media creation. (Video, audio, graphics) But it's only a Duo core, and I only have 10.4. It is lacking behind a ton compared to these newer models. I don't even have the blue tooth dongle. :sad2:

I haven't done anything to it, but I now have the money to upgrade it. Should I? I know it'll work for what I want to do, but it would work a lot better if I have the 8 core.

I'm thinking I'll upgrade this and use it as a second computer, after buying a MP with a better processor. Is this a good idea? Is it possible to upgrade the processor, is it worth the money?

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

heres the question...
    do you WANT a faster computer or do you NEED a faster computer...

at my job some of my co-workers do HD video on PPC G5's with 10.4 and have no issues... sure when they convert the files it'll take a bit longer but editing and working with the files, no issues.

That said, the Mac Pro hasn't been updated in over a year, so it should be updated sooner rather than later... so if you NEED to update, I'd wait for the newer systems to come out...

edit: Are you talking about a Macbook Pro or a Mac Pro?
    cause why would you want to get a MB as an upgrade to a desktop system?

3. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

I have a Mac Pro, and want to upgrade to a Mac Pro with a faster processor. I don't know where you got the MBP from.

I plan on doing a lot of editing in 1080p, and I want to be able to use After Effects and Motion decently. I know I can use this computer, but I'm not sure how much the processor will bog down the system.

Is audio engineering very taxing? I may just reserve this workstation for that.

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

sorry, I read the MP as MB for some reason, just force of habbit :o

Something that I noticed helped me out was cranking up the RAM, I've got 12 gigs on my system at work... AFX on my system runs way slower than Motion regardless of what I'm doing...

audio isn't too taxing till you start doing filters and EQ's rendering in real time playback... then it starts to bog down some...