SRS Is it true......

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chucklenut, May 9, 2007.

1. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

......that one cannot stop using until they really want to? i want to help a person i know stop completely, and i was battling the same addiction for around 5 months. so i know what kind of shit he is going through/doing. and i know some people here (i killed tupac, ect.) know what i know but even more.

so i ask for your asnwer. is there literally NOTHING i can do? can he stop only when he himself truely wants to?

i feel helpless :wtc: i didnt stop until i myself really wanted to, no one else stood in my way........but im hoping i was just different.

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You may or may not have been an alcoholic.

For an alcoholic, friends and loved ones are as powerless over alcohol as the alcoholic is himself/herself.

However, that doesn't mean there's nothing you can do. If he indicates that he wants to stop, suggest he go to an AA meeting or seek counseling.

If you aren't an alcoholic but he is, do not think that he will have the same success as you. For a real alcoholic, it's virtually impossible to stop drinking without help and many require a great deal of help (such as inpatient treatment center type help).

Oh and just to clarify, when I got to AA, there was a huge part of me that didn't want to quit drinking. There was a small part that knew I had to and another part that wanted to...but they were very small. I can't say why I stayed other than I knew something had to change....but I was sure that stopping drinking wasn't it. I've learned differently since.

3. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

alchohol's never been a problem for me, i only get drunk when depressed.

this problem is cocaine. and im tired of it. almost ruined me and now its ruining hte people around me.

i appreciate your message.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ahh ok...many believe that the actual drug is not as important as the condition of dependancy. In other words, many alcoholics and drug addicts find very similar problems and cures exist for them. However, there may be some difficulty for an alcoholic to properly relate to a drug addict and vise versa.

So although I'm not a junkie, some people believe you can simply replace the words alcohol with cocaine in my last post and it will apply.

5. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

cocaine user = junkie ???

6. planepower2004

planepower2004 New Member

Dont want to let this die without the truth being out there! Yes Viginia! there is a santa... (parents) Wait, wrong truth. One cannot stop any action unless they want to! Addicts dont stop till they hit some sort of bottom. Then they want to. Will yours and your friends be jail, death, the streets? Will you wait until you've alienated all those around you? What will be your catalyst? Nope, you cant stop using till you want to. You cant be forced to. You wont do it for others. It will be your last addictive selfish act! You will only do it for yourself.

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

well, if he's an addict, then it wont matter what the substance is.

you cannot make him start, you cannot make him stop. You are as powerless over him as he is over intoxicants.