MIL Is it true that former Marines can't join Active USAF.. only Reserve USAF?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NPH, May 17, 2007.

1. NPH

NPH Guest

2. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Being prior service of any other branch makes it hard to join the active AF, but it's not impossible. IIRC there are only certain jobs you can go straight into as active, if not you can join the AF reserve or Air national guard and then transfer over.

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Why the hell would that matter?

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

One of my good friends is prior Marine. I have worked with prior Navy as well.

5. NPH

NPH Guest

I was all about Semper Fi and all that shit.. but if you guys gotta deal with half the bullshit and still get paid the same, fuck.. sign me up. More technical jobs in the Air Force anyways. :dunno:

6. Jyokker

Careful, in the Marines if a PFC doesn't do what his SGT tell him, all hell breaks loose. In the AF the SGT would have to write him up, then wait for him to do it again, write him up again, then wait for him to do it again, etc until he had a mountain of paperwork, then the troop would be sent to correctional custody, and if he fails to obey again he would be kicked out of the AF. What I am getting at is with the advent of the kindler gentler AF, they have taken immediate power away from the NCO corps.

7. NPH

NPH Guest

It's kinda the same way around here now. You gotta have a substantial amount of "warnings" in the SNM's training jacket before you can write his ass up for NJP. Even then, it's gotta get passed the SNCO and OIC. In most cases, it won't even get that far.. at least around here, that's how it is. You can yell and scream at them all day long, that's about it.

Everything now is "Careful how handle each situation, you can seriously screw a Marine's career with a simple write up these days," which is true to some degree. NJP's are so hard to recover from these days. At least in the admin field it is. Shit sets you so far back. Reason why the only way I'll ever write someone for NJP is they do something completely stupid.

8. Jyokker

Yelling isn't all that common around here. I loved our First Sgt that we used to have. That guy was old school AF, you could hear him yelling at someone down the hallway. But you knew if they were getting yelled at, they deserved it. He also wouldn't hold things against people, if you corrected yourself after your verbal beating, he was cool about it. He would come up with the funniest yelling sessions too. We nicknamed him Sgt Ermy.

9. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

We had a Tech like that a while back. He retired though. He would give you the ass chewing of a lifetime, and as soon as he was done, ask you if you wanted to go to Hooters with him for lunch. Those are the best NCO's in my book. They dish out the ass chewing, and then move on like nothing happened.

10. Vegasoutkast

Vegasoutkast New Member

NO - when I went through basic and tech school I had 3-4 ex marines along side us.

11. NPH

NPH Guest

former Marines don't go through basic again. :ugh:

12. Motá

Motá New Member

I know of a few enlisted Marines go to the Air Force as officers, but never met an enlisted to enlisted :dunno:

13. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

thats the same thing I thought. They prob just lied to him and told him that :mamoru:

14. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

Yes, they're too dangerous and we have to get danger pay for working with them.

:mamoru: