is it true that audis are HIGHLY unreliable???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Brigante, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

i've read on more than one occasion that audi's aren't very reliable cars. tell me that's not so coz i've always liked audis. never owned one but always liked their cars. anyway, i'm lookin to buy a new car soon and an audi a4 is one of the cars i'm considering. the newer body style is the one i'd be looking for, unless i find a good deal on an S4. but these things i read about the reliability is throwing me off a little. thanks for the help.

2. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

My friend has never had a problem with his....not sure how indicitave that is about the brand, but if it helps...

3. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

in the 35000 miles i've had my s4 (25,000 of which are with the car being chipped with downpipes and exhaust) i have had 1 problem which was replaced under warranty(faulty throttle body) which occurred at 31000 miles. all of my dads audis have had no problems (except his old A8L's speedlimited didnt work for some reason :dunno: )

4. Jackanapes

Jackanapes turbodirectinjection OT Supporter

The internet is full of every bad experiance that some have had. Remember you can recall bad things that have hapend to you easier than the good.

For peace of mind a certified used Audi is a good choice but for the right car don't let the lack of certification stop you.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  5. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

i've owned my S4 for four years as of today. I've gone through 2 sets of turbos - my fault, 5 of 6 MAF sensors, and 2 batteries. I just clicked over to 62k miles this morning, and have loved every mile of it. I have a love/hate relationship with my car.

6. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Audi's for the most part are reliable. But they've had certain problems in the past. And when something breaks it can cost a lot. The 2.7T seems to be the worst....maf's, blown turbos (but that is due to other factors - torn tbb, bad bpv's, torn f-pipe, not enough cool down). A4's and S4's have had problems with control arms too. And of course the coilpacks were blown out of proportion cause of Audi's inability to get updated ones from the manufacturer. Some Audi's used to have a "stuck accelerator" problem in some of their OLD models and since really haven't had the best luck with changing the perception of people. Biggest problems. A4 - Timing belt failure, S4 - blown tubos, A6 - electronics, A8 - tranny's. fwiw, I own an A6 2.7T and I LOVE the car. Ain't gonna give it up, that's for sure.

7. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

Treat them right and they will do the same for you. 45k miles on my 2000 S4, 25k of them chipped, ONE torn throttle body boot ($12 part) replaced by myself. I also replaced the bypass valves which for two of them was $95. It wasn't necessary but was more a peace of mind type item. With proper warm up and cool down on turbos all is well.

8. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

My A4 is a 99 and has 65000 miles. I haven't had a thing go wrong with my car, but I take care of it.

9. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz I love hot girls.

All German cars are the same. You maintain them well, they take care of you.

10. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

I'd personally go with a BMW... overall much better reliabilty.

11. Brigante

thanks for the replies. i've been a honda owner for 8 years now. go on and flame if you want but none of the hondas i've owned ever gave me problems. they're the benchmark of reliability. so on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being honda and 1 being kia). where does audi fit in?

12. Welsh0913

Welsh0913 OT Supporter

Older Audi's did have reliability issues, but they have cleaned up their act recently.

13. Brigante

well, i got an awesome deal on a new dolphin grey 04 1.8t. they gave me considerably higher for my honda than i had anticipated and they knocked off a grand off the sticker price. she's a beauty. wish i could have gotten the quattro but oh well, no big deal for me anyway.

know any good audi enthusiast forums?

14. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I don't think so - certain models have their problems and every manufacturer makes some lemons but overall I think they're fine

15. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

16. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

If you listen to the haters in the main forum they will distort your view of what a good autombile is with wrx, sti, and nissan post ect...:rolleyes:

17. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

any car (that doesnt happen to be a lemon) that is well maintained will last a life time. I think in general its Audi owners that are terrible, which give audi a bad name.

however, it has been at the bottom of the list in all "review" publications. not sure if they are reporting stupid things or major things or all things... but they do seem to be high maintenance as all turbo cars are

18. king_j

king_j Guest

I know many people that have had audis and have had many problems with them. from electrical problems to bad fuel distribution systems. audis are badass looking cars, if you get one, make sure it has a warranty. personally, i would never get one, i work at a garage and they constantly come in.
    I would much rather drive a benz or a bimmer.