MIL Is it too late..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by imerikmabry, Jul 2, 2006.

1. imerikmabry

imerikmabry New Member

My friend just swore in last week and he's debating backing out and getting in the Guard. Is it possible?

2. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

when my friend swore in for the marines he told me that he had to swear in twice. he could ditch town after the first swear-in, with no problems, but once he "officially" swore in he was in for good [active duty]

but im and him are probably wrong [or theres a BIG catch] so dont take my word for it.

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i never heard of anyone swearing in for shits and giggles so i don't know what the fuck you're talking about swearing in twice unless the first time around whoever did the ceremony was fucking a goat.

can you "technically" pull out before getting on that plane and landing at a training base? yes.

can you enlist again in the military, any branch of the military, and/or work in any government agency? no.

you ask him if this is last minute jitters. then you ask him if after the culmination of god knows how many months of work and effort placed into get him signed on with the contracting, this is what he wants to do.

4. imerikmabry

imerikmabry New Member

Damn, he's going to shit a nut. Thanks though.

5. dura

dura Guest

He means the mean-nothing ceremony when someone goes into the DEP.

6. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

lame

7. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

i have no idea. like i said, i polly wrong

8. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

he wont officially swear in til boot camp. anything before then is BS

9. Massive_gas

Massive_gas New Member

yeah, he can get out of his contract and join the guard instead; but i'm pretty sure he can never get back into the same service again

10. Accord

Accord New Member

You swear in twice. When you first sign the enlistment papers you'll swear in at MEPS, even though you take the same oath this one is for swearing into DEP. Then you take a second oath right before you ship off and this one is the serious one right before you leave.

TECHNICALLY speaking it is 100% illegal to get out of DEP, however we now have an all voluntary military and it has become policy since Vietnam not to prosecute anyone who gets out of DEP.

Anyone is free to leave DEP at anytime, some recruiters may tell you it's illegal, you'll get arrested, you'll get a dishonorable discharge, etc. but noe of these things are and it's just pressure tactics to get you to stay in. Your recruiter has to put in a lot of work on your behalf when you DEP in, so if you want to get out of DEP he's going to be pissed and rightfully so.

You CAN get out of DEP and switch to another branch, at my RS the army recruiter next door is constantly trying to get poolees from the Marine Corps to get out of DEP and switch to the army and my Marine recruiter has to go over there and bitch at him. There is no policy that says if you get out of DEP you can't join the military later on, but it will be extremely difficult unless you had a good reason for getting out, and good reasons are rare. If you want to get out of Navy DEP and immediately switch to the Air Force, that can happy, albeit your Navy recruiter will be pissed out of his mind, you CAN do it. For Marine Corps DEP, if you get out of it and try and rejoin no Marine recruiters will ever even talk to you again.