Is it still bad to eat tuna everyday ?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by AKing, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

haven't they round a way to get over this mercury crap.

2. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

Anti mercury pills.

3. Zika

Zika My avatar is still NOT me

Unless you're pregnant don't worry about it.

If you gets signs like dizzyness or rashes just stop eating so much untill they go again :dunno:

4. procrastinator

:eek3:

5. Zika

Zika My avatar is still NOT me

Seriously? I eat tons of fucking fish and feee....wait what was i saying?

6. procrastinator

Meh, I'm pretty much like that anyway, I dont really pay attention to stuff enough to remember it anyway. :o

7. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

6-8 cans per day? You hoss.

Thats roughly 11tybilliion % more than your recomended weekly intake. Roughly.

8. SeeVinceRun

And we're back.

9. SeeVinceRun

You could just fake it, really.:naughty:

10. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

any serious responses to this? I want to know also

11. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

last week, one of the local news station ran a report/study on this.

don't eat a lot of tuna :nono: if you do, stick with chunk light not albacore.... IRC

12. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

i can't imagine that. I get sick of tuna really fast. Whole wheat pasta + chicken is my second staple of bulking.

13. kngrsll

kngrsll F1 Crew

i work for a dentist, and he is very up to date on mercury toxicity. we get a new report at least once a week about it in dentistry and in the enviornment. from what i understand, mercury is so bad because it builds up in your body and is very very difficult to get out, especially when it enters the nervous system. number one source of enviornmental mercury toxicity is actually from cremation. when bodies are burned, the silver fillings in teeth (which are about 50% mercury) are vaporized. the more you collect in your body, the more damage it does. but the best way to get it out is through sweating actually... so if you are hitting the gym and working out properly, you should get most of it out! but i would do my best to avoid it... there is still quite a debate about it though, but i tend to side with my boss, there is no denying its a deadly toxin, so its best to avoid getting it into the body. if anyone wants to know more, ill check back, ive got alot of info at my disposal.

14. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

i usually have 2 cans a day

15. trancezj

trancezj New Member

unless you just start to 'know' the temp, I wouldn't worry about it.

16. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

1 can of tuna a day is fine. i heard salmon is worse with the mercury levels.

17. SeeVinceRun

Ah shit. I love salmon.
    Farmed Salmon
    THE HEADLINES:
    Toxins Cited in Farmed Salmon
    (Washington Post, 1/9/04)

THE REAL STORY: In January of this year, a study reported that levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)—chemicals that have been found to be carcinogenic in animals—in farmed salmon were significantly higher than those in wild salmon. This prompted questions about the safety of one of the country's most popular fish.

How did PCBs make their way into our fish supply? They were widely used in manufacturing and discharged by industrial facilities into the environment until a 1976 ban (a precautionary measure, since they were harmful to animals, but their effect on humans was unclear at the time). Many PCBs ended up in our waters and remain there today. Wild fish absorb them by eating other fish; farmed salmon ingest them through their feed, which is made of fishmeal and oil, in a more concentrated form. This is why PCB levels are higher in farmed salmon. (Salmon farmers are now looking at alternative types of feed.) But since these contaminants are concentrated in the skin and fat, some 30 to 50 percent cook out.

Even so, the question remains: At what levels are PCBs dangerous to humans? "There's no proof that PCBs are human carcinogens," says Elizabeth M. Whelan, Ph.D., president of the American Council on Science and Health. Occupational studies involving factory workers show that exposure to high levels of PCBs caused symptoms like eye irritation, headache, nausea and fatigue—but not cancer.

"PCB levels in farmed salmon are so low that it would be impossible for these salmon to be carcinogenic," says Charles Santerre, Ph.D., an associate professor in Purdue University's foods and nutrition department. Nevertheless, the EPA has set standards to predict cancer risk from PCBs, and both sides of the salmon debate admit that if you ate eight ounces of farmed salmon every week over the course of 70 years, your cancer risk would go up .001 percent. "The chance you'll be killed by lightning is three times higher than that," says Santerre.

Confusing the issue further, fish provides tremendous health benefits, so experts are wary of recommending, limited consumption. "Salmon is still one of the best sources of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids—found only in fish—which are important in brain and retinal development in fetuses," Santerre explains. Studies also report that omega-3s will help decrease your risk of heart disease, and preliminary evidence shows that they can also help fight Alzheimer's.

YOUR REAL RISK: There's not enough solid scientific research to compare the risks of eating farmed salmon to the health benefits of consuming fish, says Michael Thun, M.D., head of epidemiological research for the American Cancer Society. The National Academy of Sciences has acknowledged the importance of reducing PCBs in all foods but has concluded that salmon's health benefits outweigh the risks and hasn't recommended restricting consumption. If you can find and afford wild salmon—it's usually available only a few months a year and can cost upwards of $20 per pound—feel free to include it in your diet. The American Heart Association recommends that you eat two servings a week of fish, particularly fat fish including salmon.

18. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I have nothing to worry about, my short memory is gone already from some college drug use back in the day. :-//

19. xela

xela So say we all!

Hmm...I eat a lot of salmon and tuna (not the canned kind). I do feel like I forget a lot more stuff. I guess that's why. :o

20. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I ate about 8 cans a day and eventually forgot about OT for 5 months until I saw the new bilboard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.