Is it safe to...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Coddle, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Buy a bike that the guy says has a title, but the title was just transfered into his name a couple of weeks earlier and that I will have to wait to get the title (apparently he has not recieved the new title, is this normal?)? He says that he has the registration showing that the bike is in his own name. Even if I never ended not up getting the title from him, could I re-title it using just the registration? Thanks for any input.

2. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

he should have some sort of transfer papers from the dmv for it. everytime i buy a new vehicle they also photocopy the title for me right before taking it for their own use.

make sure to get a bill of sale at least. id stay away if he doesnt have records of the title being transferred to his name

3. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Yeah you are also going to want to check to make sure the that bike is paid off considering he does not have the title in hand. Also as diaper mentioned already make sure you get a bill of sale which you can pick up at the DMV or AAA office.

4. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Can't you just write up the bill of sale on a piece of paper? Or does it have to be some sort of pre-printed bill of sale that you fill out?

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DMV has a special preprinted for for that, if the bank held the title previously it might take them 4-6 weeks to get it sent to him.

6. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

you could put a deposit down and wait for him to get the title, does he seem sheisty? if so then obviously look for another bike, too many things could happen. people are pretty easy to read and if he seems stand up then its just going to be a trust issue on your part

7. seven

seven New Member

i'd be careful, i saw a thread a while ago of a dude getting ripped off in a similar situation.

8. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Well he said that he had the title transfered into his name, I haven't met him yet (going to go check it out later today). Typically, how long does it take for the title to get transfered?

9. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

takes about 2 months to get the new one here

10. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Could tell him he'll get the money when you get the title. Otherwise, why deal with all this hassle, there are probably lots of other similar bikes for sale by people who have the title in hand.

11. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I asked if I could put down a deposite and wait for the title to show up, he said that that would be fine.

12. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

You can do it at the bank he held it at. Are you financing the bike? If so you can also have your bank take care of the whole transaction for you.

13. i64X

i64X New Member

I'll second this. I was almost ripped off like this once.

14. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Bike with title in another name = stolen

/thread

15. 7960

7960 New Member

if he really wants to sell it then he'll wait until he gets the title so he can hand it over. if you suggest that ("I have the money but I need to see the title first") and he balks, RUN AWAY!!!!