Is it really that hard to write Windows programs that run w/o being admin?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Dec 6, 2006.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

ARGH! You try to do the right thing and have users run as limited users, but its like a full time job dealing with all of the apps that don't run at all or randomly fuck up when run as a limited user. I really hope Vista's UAC system is finally the shovel across the face that programmers need to understand that their programs need to run as limited users.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

In Vista it will just ask you more often.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The problem isn't the users or the user accounts or the programmers. The problem is admins who don't know that they can custom-configure usergroups to grant exactly the kinds of permissions they want their users to have. Limited user is one notch above Guest -- is it any wonder that Limited Users can't do anything? Try giving them RWX permissions in the Program Files and Temp directories and see what happens.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I gave full control over the program's folder in Program Files and Common Files and even tried giving full control over c:\Windows just to see. I also gave full control over the program's key in the registry. No luck. I know some programs will run if you take relatively simple steps like adding some NTFS permissions to a couple of folders. But when they won't its a pain in the ass.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hmm.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The problem is the app developers don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to how the OS operates. Most think that because it runs on their workstation (where they are usually admins) it will work anywhere. Doing Citrix I run into this constantly.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm sure I could get most of them to run if I put enough time into it but DAMN.