is it possible to trace an email that was sent with Exchange?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AbortionSurvivor, May 20, 2005.

1. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

One of my users sent out an email with our Exchange server. The recipient said that they never got it.

The sender didn't receive any bounced messages and the email was not blocked by our spam filter (I checked). Besides that, is there a way to see if the email was delivered? Is there a way to track it?.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That is unreliable. For example, I have my Outlook 2003 set to NOT download pictures by default.

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Or, instead of that malarky, you could look at the Exchange log files.

Each email has a unique ID associated with it - find this particular message in Exchange, note the ID, then search for that in the log, which you can open in Excel as a delimited file.

That certifies that it left your system, or if an error occurred.

You would then have to have the other company look through their logs to see if it was received - good luck getting that one to happen. But if it does, then it would show that the person received the email. This doesn't promise that they read it or not, though, but that's beyond the scope of IT.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Open exchange system manager. On the left hand side, you should have a tab for tools, then one for message tracking. You need the sender's username, the mail server used, the time period it was sent in and the recipients email address.
    It will take severl minutes to complete the search, but should show you all the info from where it was submitted to your mail server by your user, qued, sent to the net and received by their email server. It will show their mail server name or if they go through a mail appliance like an MX400 virus/spam filter, it will show that. It will have exact times and dates. Depending on how exchange was set up initally, the log files may only go back 2 or 3 days as they can get pretty big, in the form of 3-400mb's per day.