Is it possible to overdose on water?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by mspgringo, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mspgringo

mspgringo New Member

Yesterday I drank 8 litres of water, 2 litres during my work out (this total does not include juice, coffee, protein shake I took during the day). I felt fine yesterday but woke up this morning bloted.. My gut was much bigger then normal and I felt light headed. I feel fine now but my shoulders, gut ect.. still feel bloted.

Anyone ever experience this?

2. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

3. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Some guy gave a presentation about hazing for one of my classes and apparently, instead of alcohol, one fraternity made one of their pledges drink so much water that his body couldn't get rid of it and he done died.

4. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

water can dilute necessary salts causing death

5. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

You can safely drink 15 litres of water a day ... it's not the amount it's the period of time you drink it in.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

man I love Google search

hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.
    When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.
    From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.
    It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It! The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

7. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

There was a woman who drank 4 gallons of water a day a century or so ago because she was afraid of developing kidney cancer, she succeeded at preventing kidney cancer (although it probably had little to do with drinking) but died of kidney failure.

8. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Yes its the number on reason why people die from X, because it makes them dehydrated so they try dowing like 2gallons of water and the kidneys go bye bye

9. Alias

Alias OT Supporter

Were you drunk when you wrote that? :ugh:

10. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Go look it up :ugh: They either die from Dehydration or die of overdosing on water, most people dont die from to much sertoin in there brain :hsugh:

11. Alias

Alias OT Supporter

I wasn't referring to the content.

"the number on"

"they try dowing like 2gallons"

Drowning, drinking, I still don't know what you were trying to say there.

12. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

13. mspgringo

mspgringo New Member

Thanks apman0000 vbmenu_register("postmenu_45592507", true); , I'm aware google is out there... but last time I checked this was a forum to discuss these types of things.. I just wanted to know if others had experience the same type of results as I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.