GUN Is it possible to make a paintball gun a lethal weapon?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by arro, Oct 28, 2002.

1. arro

arro Guest

I'm curious if it's possible to take some kind of paintball gun and make it lethal, comparable to a .45 AUTO round in force. this is just for curiosity sake, I would enjoy taking something like that to the range and showing of to people there.

I like firearms too, but am interested in a gun that uses compressed air rather than an explosive charge to propel a projectile. Has anyone done this?

What I have guessed at so far is that maybe you can revalve a quality paintball gun, maybe increase pressure or size of the air tank... I'm not sure tho. I wouldn't even know what paintball gun would be the best to use. Some might be more modifiable in this manner than others. I'm not a paintball guy so I don't really know.

Basically I want a pnumatic gunthat rivals a firearm of similar overall dimentions. Right now I'm thinking a rifle/carbine size, which most the paintball guns I see happen to be. Either gravity fed from canister or fed from a springloaded tube-style clip. I want to be able to use something like a ball bearing for the projectile.

I would also like to be able to get many many shots out of the air canister, to negate the difficulties with refilling air tanks as opposed to simply changing the clip on a firearm. Also any info on really really small air compressors would be nice, as an option to refill on the spot.

The ideal pnumatic ball bearing gun is not far off from a paintball gun, in that it can support a hundred or hundreds of shots from one bottle, flies at lethal speeds, and has the force of a sizeable firearm.

Is this doable?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

In a word, no.

You could not increase the pressures in anything hand-held to the point of driving a much-denser-than-paint lead or metal blunt object to lethal velocity.

3. arro

arro Guest

Why?

4. kellyclan

i'm not a pneumatics guru here, don't claim to be. What i understand is that the seals and valves need to be much more robust (for our application, read: bigger) than could be fit into a marker in order to drive a bullet to lethal velocity. Keep in mind that an explosive charge is driving a denser mass at 4 times or more the velocity of a paintball marker and the barrel fit is much tighter, a bullet is actually compressed as the explosion forces it out the barrel. A paintball marker's bore fit isn't nearly as tight, so less energy is lost simply moving the projectile out of the barrel.

You could certainly create some sort of less-lethal impact weapon, ala the beanbag guns often used at riots, but to get something pneumatic powered to the point of penetrating bone and inflicting lethal damage while keeping it to a man-portable size seems most unlikely.

5. taco

taco Guest

yes I think you could make a painball gun lethal. but you couldn't nearly approach energy levels of a firearm.

to make a paintball gun lethal you would have to look to loading a crossbow type bolt with a broadhead and a sabot or some other method of catching the gas pressure in the muzzle.

real firearms produce from about 20,000 psi for a handgun to 60,000 psi for a magnum rifle. you could never even come close with gas in a tank.

you'll probably never get it to be lethal with any type of ball especially a ball that is the same caliber as the barrel.

6. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

Put marbles in it and aim for the neck.

7. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

they have pepperball technology in law enforcement.

and you could do the marble thing if you hated someone enough

8. kellyclan

Rubber/wood/marble/pepperball != .45ACP energy :p

Would be interesting to see if you could get marbles to work though. If you try it, make sure to measure the velocity.

9. taco

taco Guest

a 68 caliber lead round ball is ~468 grains. you would have to get a 468 grain projectile moving 600 fps to get 45acp energy levels. any other type of projectile is going to be lighter and you would have to get them going even faster. I just really don't think you are going to get any type of ball projectile going that fast with compressed gas out of a tank.

10. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

I've shot marbles out of my spyder. They're .68 caliber too :)

They're under 250 feet a second easy, they don't leave with the energy as a paintball even. But they'd break windows and stink like a mother.

11. arro

arro Guest

I'm not talking about a stock paintball gun's capabilities. I'm talking about revalving, and running more PSI in the tank, maybe even a stronger or larger tank.

12. PleaseEatSomeShit

PleaseEatSomeShit 1-900-RAT-FUCK

co2 outputpressure is around 800psi. so youd have to use nitro or CA. yes you could make it shoot a metal mobject if..you can fit it into ther barrle, a detent can hold it, and enoguh pressure. it would be time comsuming thought becasue it would be muzzle loading.

13. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

of course you can make it lethal, but you can't make it have the force of a .45.

Nice little cyanide soporific + syringe + paintball = lethal.

14. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

lethal would be hard but you could put some one down/ lots pain. Freeze the paint and turn up the psi.

15. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

You tweak your gun to shoot faster and farther. That only makes it more painful though. :dunno:

16. MA70

MA70 Guest

I think the only way to kill someone by shooting a paintball gun, would be to shove the barrel in their mouth and dry fire it untill either their lungs freeze, or they asphxiate from breathing nothing but C02.

17. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Or hit them in the temple a few times, or throat.

18. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

:rofl: :rofl:

19. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

A lot of stupidity in this thread...

20. Furner

Furner New Member

i checked michigan law, and the definition of a firearm is anything that uses air, gas, explosives, etc. to propel a dangerous projectile.
    im guessing this definition is pretty much the same in all states.
    so placing a marble in the chamber of a paintball gun would make you the carrier of an unlicensed firearm
    i guess frozen paintballs could count as dangerous too, so hmmmmmmmm, that sucks

i have wondered about putting other projectiles in my pb marker for a while, this is discourging

ahhh, ill just buy a pistol

21. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

You cannot freeze paintballs into a solid state, I think.

Why not just get a damn gun?

22. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

23. Furner

Furner New Member

ive tried freezing them, it will make them alot harder, the shell will be more brittle, the filling will be harder, but the paintball will hurt lots more, thats experience speaking

24. Mogu

Mogu original gangster

if you wanted to kill someone, you would probably have to crank up the FPS on the gun and shoot a frozen ball somewhere ugly (eye, throat, maybe temple) from point blank range.

25. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i believe you can kill someone with a compressed air type of weapon. Lewis and Clark had an early model air rifle with them. when i was on the ROTC rifle team in high school, our air rifles fired pellets at 1000fps. place it in the right spot, and it will kill you. while the velocity is greater than some .45acp rounds, the energy is not since you are firing a much lighter projectile. can you make an air weapon lethal....yes. can you make one that will pack the punch of a 230gr .45acp round....not without a lot of bulk. just my .02