SRS Is it possible to ever truly recover from addition?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cerridwen, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

This is my first post in here, so please be patient with me.
    My mother was an alcoholic for MANY years (pretty much the first 17-18 years of my life) and also did drugs (what kind, I don't exactly know).
    What I'm wondering, is if it is truly possible to ever be fully recovered without having to worry about relapsing or anything? She has been clean for about 5 years now and is an AODA counselor, but I just have a hard time seeing a 'new' person in her (if that makes sense).

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

What do you mean by recover? In the rooms, people say they are constantly of recovering .... by going to meetings, and working their program. It's kind of a word game in my opinion, if someone has been clean for and is not currently drinking or using anything, you could consider them recovered.

However, once you lose control, that's it, the ability to moderate never comes back up. It may come back for a period of time, but usually those were once alcoholics or drug addicts cannot successfully moderate for any length of time.

3. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I have been sober for over 9 months after a brief relapse which was preceded by 8 months of clean time. The Big Book discusses seeking "outside help" when necessary and I have been considering this in the form of psychotherapy. Perhaps your mother may need some additional help dealing with anger or personality issues.
    When we are in recovery and trying very hard to follow a program of recovery, sometimes it is hard to see the areas that we need to work on that are similar to what normal people do. Some people clean up with AA or NA alone and resovle a lot of resentments and personal issues by working their program and some people search outside for additional help like church, therapy, excercise, yoga etc.
    It is sort of like that expression, "If you have a hammer all of your problems look like nails" or something like that. I'm rambling but I guess my point is that some people in recovery need outside help and sometimes fail to realize it.

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I guess by recover I mean be 'better' (I can't honestly think of a better word than that). To truly spend your time not thinking about the next time you're going to get drunk or high. What are the chances of relapsing?
    Like I said, she is now an AODA (alcohol and drug abuse) counselor, so she must be 'better' or 'recovered', but I guess I have just seen her all my life as a drunk (I didn't know about the drugs until I was older- about 10-11 or so) and am having a hard time accepting her as being 'clean'.
    Obviously it's been a long time since I've really had a relationship with her.

5. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

My father was an alcoholic for 20+ years (my whole life) and before than he did drugs.

He went through treatment for a couple months/counseling. He's been clean from drugs/alcohol for a little over a year now. And frankly, I believe he's worse off this way.

I say this because he is like hermit crab, he stays to himself, he never talks to the family, it's just disturbing. He isn't any healthier b/c the years of drug/alcohol abuse has taken a toll on him :dunno:

sure, they may be able to put the bottle down or give up the drugs, but deep down, they'll always be an alcoholic

6. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Well, it sounds like what you are saying is "when is someone free of the obsession to drink and use?" This differs person by person in my opinion. It's never really truly gone, it can come back for small periods of time. For me, 3 months in my obsession really faded and 6 months in I felt like it was gone.

When I broke up with my girlfriend, it came back for a couple months, but I didn't use. Then I felt better and since then (a year and a half) I haven't had the obsession to use anymore. It'll probably come back when my life really sucks, but most of the time it just isn't here anymore. I do have a pretty good life though, lots of recovering addict friends and I still attend meetings at least once a week.

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Eligh, that is pretty much what I'm trying to say.

8. wayne and zeus

wayne and zeus oh it will, won't it

He is what is called a "Dry Drunk" which basically refers to "An Alcoholic without a recovery program".

When an addict/alcoholic puts down the substance, they need to begin to work on themselves to learn how to live normally without that substance.

9. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

ahh..okay. makes sense when you put it like that ;)

10. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

I will have been clean for 7 years this month, and i tell you, you are never cured, so to speak. The compulsion always manifests itself in one for another, sometimes destructive, sometimes not.
    I find not drinking or using drugs relatively easy now, but i have been clean enough to develope a lifestyle and network of friends that understand that, so environmentaly, i have an advantage over some people new to recovery.
    Were my addiction manifests itself is spending, usually. I must have the best of everything, cars, watches, whatever. And cannot have just one of anything. I just recently got on a tea kick, so, now, i have 8 differents kinds of tea. Thats just one example.
    Curable? Doubt it. Manageable, yes. Funny? Sometimes! There are empty tea cups on every flat surface in my house!