Is it possible to disguise a network drive as a permanent hard drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I want my laptop's hard drive to appear on my PC like it is a hard drive installed on the PC.

Before you lecture me on network drives - I know this. In fact, I already have the drives across the network so I can share information.
    The problem is I want to use a backup program that won't let you back up across network drives.
    Is it possible for me to fool my OS into thinking the laptop drives which are currently networked drives are in fact hard drives inside the PC?

----------------

*FWIW: I have been a big user of Alcohol 120 and Daemon tools over the years. That is what got me thinking about this. I was kind of like, 'You know it IS possible to fool the OS into thinking I got a CD drive when one doesn't exist. Is it possible to fool it into thinking I have a hard drive where one doesn't currently exist?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there is a fundamental difference in the way network drives are treated when compared to physical drives. There is a reason of this difference.

Why don't you switch to a backup product that properly supports network backups?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Not sure if it would work but have you tried mapping the network drive and assigning it a fixed drive letter?

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Because all backup products for home computers are giant pieces of shit.

I am going to give carbonite a shot. I scored a super cheap key for it.

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I actually haven't tried anything yet. I am just sitting here thinking about the problem and trying to put some solutions together in my head.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i forget the name, but there was a free one that I found out about thru the same people that do filezilla... and it does network backups as well as ftp. it was sweet.

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Are you trying to backup a drive across the network or just save your backup across the network? If your doing the second one then people on here recommend Acronis True Image Home quite often.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

would be easier if you use a backup utility that will support network drives.

edit: :doh: went out for a smoke before making this post so I didn't see the above responses :o

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  10. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Seriously, like what?

I feel like I have tried them all and they have all come up short.
    Ghost is... well Ghost is just a giant piece of crap. Actually, Ghost might be worth giving another shot at. I didn't like it because in my old setup I had a IDE chip that caused Ghost to freeze up. I have a new motherboard now... so I suppose Ghost is back on the table.

Acronis.... I bought into the Acronis hype and purchased Acronis 10. I have problems with that program where it just freezes during backups. It just won't work.
    Sure Acronis 11 (actually Home V 11) might work - but why should I try? I already paid full price for it once and have never gotten a good backup out of it.

NTI backup:
    For a little while was the only backup tool I trusted.
    Then one day it just stopped working reliably. I wanted to image a drive onto DVD, whipe the hard drive, and reinstall off the image.
    It always fails.

I'll give something else a shot. Hell, I'll even pay for it if it works. But I have tossed enough good money at shitty software in the past to be fooled into buying another piece of backup software before knowing that it works.

I am absolutely serious, if you have a favorite piece of backup software and you think I just haven't tried it hook me up.
    Share your key, hook me up with a crack - whatever.
    If I can get my laptop done with it then I will purchase it free and clear. I won't use the crack or your key after that.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, now the thread has taken a turn for the worse

:lockd:

:lockd:

12. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Agreed. WAS a great discussion.

No serials or cracks here. Ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.