Is it possible that having long forearms can make certain exercises harder?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by bugman, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugman

bugman Demonic Gecko OT Supporter

Maybe I am just paranoid, but I feel like in the past 2-3 months I have been going to the gym on a regular basis, certain exercises seem more awkward for me to perform.

For example, on the triceps extension machine, my arms bow out instead of staying inline, and when i take a barbell and raise it to my chin for traps, its very awkward for me no matter what the weight. There are other examples, but all similar to that scenario.

I keep questioning myself whether Im not doing the exercise properly, or maybe certain things just arent working for me.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. :hs:

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

upright rows don't feel good to anybody, all the way up to the chin makes my shoulders cry. Hang cleans or deads or shrugs for traps imo.

lower the weight on the tricep exercises so you can do them properly

3. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

lower the weight until you can do them with good form

and also, stop overthinking it

4. bugman

I overthink everything :o

Like if my back isnt perfectly aligned or perfectly straight, I get worried the exercise isnt doing anything. Or if I dont feel the exercise working exactly where the diagram says it should, I get worried too. I guess I just want to know Im doing the exercise correctly.

5. C.C. Baxter

C.C. Baxter Guest

this is a ROM issue. Anythign "longer" is going to make the full ROM that much greater.

6. bugman

Rate of Movement? So its good that I have longer forearms because I have to work them harder?

7. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Range of motion.

8. bugman

So it pays off that I have longer forearms? I just feel like I will never get "big" arms, because my forearms and bicep are long. Which I dont really care about so much at this point, as I more want to stay fit/healthy for now, until i can dedicate time to a real bulking diet, etc.

Meanwhile, I see people with short forearms and they have a lot more muscle there, which makes sense I guess.

9. bugman

Also, I need to get over my paranoia that Im doing the exercises wrong, because I think that fucks me up even more.

10. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Having longer appendages has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Also I read somewhere that longer muscle bodies end up looking better when flexed.

I'm lanky as fuck too dude and I wouldn't have it any other way. Stop complainin and do work son.

11. bugman

Thanks for the help. It was less of a complaint and more of a general question :o

I see where you are going though..I really cant wait till I graduate college in a month and will have more time/money to do this properly.

12. mkashew

mkashew New Member

There are some exercises (Such as the bench press, only one I can think of right now) that having long arms is a disadvantage unless you have the right bench.

When Andrew Bynum (L.A. Lakers) was a rookie, he was 7'0" 270lbs and owns I think an 89" wing span, and he couldn't even bench 130lbs. However a lot of that had to do with the bench itself just not being big enough.

With the right bench (And of course all the pro advice and training he gets) he was able to increase gain 15lbs and his max increased to 280lbs in the off season, which is about 6 months.

13. bugman

Yea, thats why when I move back home from school and join a gym locally, Im thinking of getting a trainer for 1-2 sessions just to see what exercises would be good for my body type, etc then go from there.

Benching for me isnt too difficult, but I dont do it that much. Usually, I lie down on that chair thing and do the 2 DBs. But I did bench yesterday, and found my wrists would bend back a lot when raising the bar...but that was it.

14. React

React Still Strong

:werd: X 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.