Is it possible share sound system with more than 1 device?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Movendi, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Movendi

Movendi Techno-süchtige

I'm looking to buy a good sound system that can be shared with a few electronic devices. I want to hook it up to my computer for music and maybe some gaming. Next I want it to be hooked up to turntables i'll be purchasing very soon so will that require a seperate amp? And finally I want it to be hooked up to my tv and possible xbox360

A diagram for the visual people:

[​IMG]
    S= Speakers SW= subwoofer

Now i'm just wishfully thinking that the blue wires from the amp will connect to all the devices in my diagram. I don't think it's probably but i'm just illustrating what I want to acheive. Now i want to know realistically how can this be achieved? And what kind of equiptment should be required?

What kind of sound card would I need for my PC and i'm also wondering what kind of audio equipment I should buy. I have about 1k to play but I can wait and save more if it is needed but i'm wondering would that be enough for a good sound system?

If anything let me know your views on my proposed idea.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

a good receiver with multi inputs should work fine, i would assume. are you going to do some 5.1 (or more) with that or just use a 4 speaker quadraphonic setup? a good, stout yamaha would most likely get you going in the right direction. just look for something with enough inputs.

are you going to use the PC as a DVD player or just for music? the purpose will in turn allow for sound card recommendations.

edit: didn't see the sub in there, so i'll assume ur going 5.1.

Ronin should have some good input on this, he's pretty well versed on the home audio side of things. at least a lot more than me

3. Movendi

Movendi Techno-süchtige

I don't know alot about audio equipment but I just want 4 speaker surround + sub for music and movies mostly. I have a spare standalone dvd player lying around here that I can hook up to my TV for dvd movies. But i do want to watch divx/xvid movies that's on my computer so i'll have to watch my divx movies on my computer until I get an xbox 360 for the TV. My current sound card is an audigy1 but i'll be getting a new computer soon enough and if I need a better sound card i'll opt for a better one.

When you say receiver you mean amp right?

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

todays receivers can generally handle about 6 or more input devices

its going to be like for example

TV broadcast audio
    Turntable
    DVD
    Computer
    Xbox360

All of them go into the appropriate inputs on the back of your receiver

you can cycle across them on your receiver

ideally this is what i myself would do:

[​IMG]

wurlitzer thrown in 4 kicks

for a sound card get a m-audio or a creative

differences will be very very very minimal on a 1k set up

dont know what cards will fit a laptop if thats what ull be using or if sound cards are universal :dunno:

seperate amp for turntables? dont think so, dont turntables just run off ur outlet?

then just hook those into ur receiver

i dont use turntables :dunno:

1k hm, yamaha or onkyo receiver, lets say uhh HTR series yamaha..

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Yamaha_HTR_5860_Receiver,__7797069

360 ish with warranty (u want a warranty)

maybe JBL northridge floor standers @ 300 a pair (the smaller ones of the floorstanders)

center + rear bookshelfs should be sheap, maybe another 200 ish to 300ish

extend ur budget for a sub, if theres one thing ull tire of it will be sub so let me know how much u can put down for 1 now or later

cheap subs sound like poo, distory easily and seem to break pretty easy compaired to other components

the jbl northridge series speakers sound decent for how much they cost, there are of course more high end things but given the budget they should please, they will get definately loud enough for you and shouldnt distort unless pushed extremely hard (they eat power fairly well)

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

oh and figure in about 200-300 to hook everything together, might be cheaper but even using cheap cable, stuff starts to get spendy

go to radio shack and save money (get the radio shack brand stuff, its good enuf for what you are doing)

6. Movendi

Movendi Techno-süchtige

Great help guys :bigthumb:... the Laptop will be plugged into the mixer through serato scratch live so there won't be need for a sound connection to the laptop directly. I'm still curious if a budget like this would allow for decent pumping. I don't need it loud that my 3rd neighbour could hear but adequate for a 3.5x3.5 meter room for trance/house music and action movies. Would you recommend to save up a little more, and what would be the critical component to spend on?

Is the wulitzer an amp booster of somesort for the amp? and i don't think i'd need a front centre speaker unless it comes with some speaker package. Because from what i understand a sound system like this can't be used for surround sound when connected to the computer, or that's what i read somewhere.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

a wurlitzer is one of those old school 1950s style jukeboxes :mamoru: i bet it in there for no reason

a sound system like this CAN be used for surround sound on a computer :ugh:

i know you dont need it to be incredibly loud but with something like house you will want ample bass that wont distort

id get 400-600 dollar sub from velodyne or SVS

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if you're going to do it, you might as well have a center channel speaker. IIRC, the yamaha will process just about anything to work with a center channel speaker (when it is in digital sound processing mode). I'm with Ronin on the sub, get a good one.