GUN Is it okay to drop a loaded mag during comps?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by krott5333, Mar 12, 2006.

1. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

lets say you have two sections of a course, in which you have to move from the first to the second, and you know you'll need more than one mag halfway through the second section, is it okay to drop a mag with rounds still in it on the way over

:dunno:

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I have no clue WTF you're asking...

3. Accord

Accord New Member

It totally depends on the club that you're shooting with. Some local IDPA clubs will not allow you to drop your mags at all or else you'll receive a 10 second penalty, you have to keep them on your person at all times.

Whether it's physically okay or not, well if the round on top comes forward just a little bit after dropping it, that can easily cause a FTF when you load the magazine.

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Thought IDPA will let you drop empty mags

5. Accord

Accord New Member

It depends on the club, all the local IDPA matches in my area don't allow it :o. I don't know how it is at the state and national level for the IDPA though since i've only competed locally.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

round on top? the round on top of the mag? why would it come forward..

if I'm dropping a mag thats not yet empty, the slide would be forward with one round in the chamber still, I dont see how dropping the mag would affect the function of the gun at all..

I thought maybe it could be seen as a safety thing, a loaded mag dropping on the floor.. of course I doubt that would ever pose a problem, but you know how some people are with off the wall safety rules.

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:greddy:

I really dont feel like having to keep an empty mag on me and taking the time to put it in the mag pouch

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

show them the rule book next time.

If you shoot to slide lock and the course plan does NOT call for a "tactical reload" or whatever they call it, then you can drop the empty mag.

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

which is why most guy's just stick it in a pocket isntead of putting it in a mag pouch.

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

And don't you have a comp coming up? Better get the fuck off OT and be practing drawing and magazine changes...

And from that other video malfunction clearing because that guy didn't know WTF was going on when it happened to him.

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

#1. I have been practicing drawing and mag changes, but I've been practicing with letting them drop to the floor, not putting them in my pocket :greddy:

#2. the only malfunction ive ever had with my G34 was one stovepipe, probably due to limpwristing.. and those are easy enough to clear. And I dont expect a feeding problem using FMJ

#3. yeah, I have a comp in 11 hours, but I'm at work.. at the gas station.. I dont think the customers would enjoy walking into the store seeing me drawing my gun and practicing mag changes :mamoru2:

12. Accord

Accord New Member

Stick it in your pocket.

13. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if I cant drop em, thats what I'll do

14. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm talking about it effecting the gun if you put the mag that was dropped back in the gun... the round at the top of the magazine may come forward and unseated a little bit when it hits the ground and that would cause a FTF if you loaded that mag again without tapping the back to reseat all the rounds.

Also, everywhere around me only lets you load to 10 rounds and not the full capacity so it levels the playing field (I think they do this at the big matches too) and they can essentially force a certain amount of mag changes per stage, so having to drop a mag with rounds still in it shouldn't be an issue.

15. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

IPSC rules let you drop them.

IDPA is the one that won't let you.

From what you've posted... you follow the IPSC rules

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

well like I said, you never know.. if you're moving from one area to another, you've got the time to do a reload, why not do it on the move instead of wasting precious time while you're at the shooting area :dunno:

and I wouldn't put the mag back in without loading it back up anyway :o

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm not all that familiar with the competition groups but I thought they usually tried to make people better shooters with more tactics. But then I always read about rules about what people can do with mags, what handguns are allowed, etc. It seems like some of the rules get pretty dumb and perhaps contradictory to real life technique. Am I was off?

18. Accord

Accord New Member

Most stages are designed with certain reload points in mind every 10 shots, you won't have to worry about that.

19. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:werd:

20. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

ibkrottdoessomethingstupidandgetsDQ'ed

21. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

ibkrottsglockjamsandeverybodyyellsberettaathimandhegoeshomecrying.

22. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

YES... Reloads should be done when you WANT to, NOT when you have to. If you shoot to slide lock, You fucked up.