Is it normal for flash to hog the CPU and lag video?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Oct 26, 2008.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I have been considering buying a TV to use as a second monitor to watch shows from online, but a lot of stuff I watch is flash video (YouTube, Hulu) and I cannot watch these things (or any flash type video) in full screen mode without the frame rate being unbearable. Why is this? I have noticed this not only on my computer but newer computers with faster processors as well. Does flash just suck for video? I use this computer for gaming with no problems, it is a capable computer.

[​IMG]

Also, before anyone says it. I have enabled/disabled the hardware acceleration option in the right-click settings menu, this helps a little but not very much. Video still lags pretty badly.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

What are the specs of the computer?

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

This computer is 4 years old, 1.8GHZ 1.5GB GeForce 6800GT. I searched online and saw a lot of other similar posts, some with very good computers though. I am planning a new computer (see other thread) hopefully that will resolve my problem?

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Guess I've never really payed much attention, but I have a Q6600, and when playing flash video it uses about 25%. :dunno:

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i have an athlon 64 x2 4200+ 2.2Ghz proc. i was just playing a video full screen and it ran fine, though both cores show 50% usage. i'm also running vista and have 3Gb of memory.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

flash IS a cpu hog
    it was only till the latest version (flash player 10) that it can offload some rendering to the GPU