is it my subs, amp or both that suck?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikeveli, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

i have a kenwood kac-728s (600W 2CH) powering 2 12" Polk DB's (dynamic balance (discountinued))...the bass is clear and all but the bass isnt loud enough...for example my friend has just 1 12" L7 with a bass cube and a 500W amp powering it, and his shit pounds twice as hard as mine...if i get a new sub(s) or amp or both, which one would be better...

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i'd get a different amp for the subs, and use that kenwood for your highs/mids. that amp is only 100 X 2 WRMS.

3. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

i actually already have a kenwood kac-848 for my insides...also sometimes during a song...the bass from the subs will just not be there when it should, the bass would dissapear then gradually come back on (while the song is still playing throught the inside speakers)...this happens when i turn the volume up pretty loud..when volume is low/medium level it works fine...

4. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

which amp would u recommend...

5. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'd say rebuild your subwoofer box before getting another amp. Get one built to the specs of your subs, and it should work fine. I had the same problem, and it was because my ports were tuned wrong.

6. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

i dont see how a 12" L7 can pound that hard. those woofers require A LOT of power. i had a 12" L5 being pushed with a jl 500/1 which pushes more than 500 watts and it was pussy. let alone an L7. ive heard L7's sound loud, it was givin over 1000 watts though.

7. 04

04 Guest

My friend's 12" L7 is loud with only 250 watts.

8. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

i guess it was my enclosure, but my 12" L5 sure didn't. my single 12" w3v1 in a prowedge owned it both in SQ and SPL (what SPL it did have)