MMA Is it me or has the last few UFC events had a lot of weak fighting?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by luvmylegend, Sep 29, 2007.

1. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

Me and a buddy were talking about how the last few UFC events had a lot of decisions. It seems to me that a lot of the fighters are scared of getting knocked out or caught, so they hang back, out of arm's reach from their opponent. Yes, there are exceptions (Alexander-Sakara for example), but I'm not seeing the aggressive style like we did in the last few years. No real ground and pound, no hardcore knockouts. Are we getting closer to watching boxing?

I promise I'm not trolling.

2. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

One major fight that comes to mind is Henderson-Jackson. That NEVER should have went to decision.

3. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

nope the last card although went to decisions was a good card

4. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I think that fighters are just rounding their games out more. You don't see as many BJJ guys that are clueless on their feet or MT guys that have no ground game.

5. Titus

Titus New Member

you're a dumbass if you didn't think that would goto decision. not every fight is going to end in a ko or sub... just the way things go, esp when you have two great fighters in there together like that.

6. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Just because the fight goes to decision, doesnt mean that is wasnt good

7. Titus

Titus New Member

8. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

At least you know how to argue without calling names. Mature.

Anyways, I thought they weren't aggressive enough in the cage, just my opinion.

From a guy like Henderson, where 10 of his 22 wins were from knockouts, and Jackson with 13 ko's out of 28 wins. You'd think they would have been swinging a bit more. In my opinion, it looked weak.

9. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

They swung a plenty. They are both noted for their excellent chins. Rampage is out of action with a hand injury from cracking it on Henderson's head.

10. On the one hand, fighters are just becoming better at defending themselves, so you aren't going to get as many clueless BJJ guys running into overhand rights and getting floored.

On the other, the new favorite tactic seems to be the clinch against the cage, which isn't giong to finish anyone. And when there instead of going all-out for the takedown, the fighters have tried to conserve energy while still pushing for a takedown a little bit. :sad2:

11. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

I think everybody saw what Randy's been doing and there's a lot of people out there trying to copy it. The problem with that is, Randy is good at wearing his opponent down when he's in the clinch with elbows and punches, when other people are just leaning on their opponent, wasting the clock.

12. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

i agree with that. but again, just because a fight goes to decision dosnt mean its a boreing fight.

13. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I think it's simply because of the matchups.

Sakara vs Alexander - there was no doubt that someone was going to get ktfo.

Henderson vs Jackson - two guys with great chins who would likely cancel each other out on the ground. If this fight had been restarted to the feet more often it might have ended in a TKO; and neither guy was going to sub the other.

I don't think there's any lack of aggression. Ground and pound is less dominant nowadays, and there's still just as many hardcore knockouts imo.

14. Titus

Titus New Member

Someone's gotta play the role of Drag On while he's gone :wiggle:

I'm not sure how you can say they weren't aggressive enough, that was a great fight and both sides were aggressive the entire 5 rounds.

15. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

Sorry, I'm not trying to troll. Maybe it was just the last few UFC events, but they just didn't interest me at all. No fight stands out in my mind, and I watched all of them.

While they were aggressive, it felt to me like they were holding back.

16. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I haven't seen many fights that looked like they weren't holding back anything.

17. Titus

Titus New Member

yea me either.. i'm just going to stop check this thread now.

18. jackson vs. henderson could have been finished if they stayed slugging it out. They just didn't because it would be a crapshoot. Both guys have hands of lead and chins of iron, so neither one could rely on winning the standup

19. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

the playing field of fighters is starting to level out so we're getting more decisions. the ufc is having the top guys fight each other so we're not seeing mismatches, and all the top guys cross train the arts to not get caught in something stupid (for the most part).

also alot of the top ufc guys use defensive counter game plans, so that will give a tentative appearance. Wins are so valuable in the ufc against top opponents that you really cant risk too much because you just might cost yourself a title shot.

eh, whatever... some fights are great, some arent... win some, lose some.

20. Yeah, leveling out the playing field and having less ridiculous matchups produces higher quality fights, but fewer brutal finishes.

Shooto is very decision-happy partially because they usually have even matchups. (and partially because their guys are better at defending than attacking).

21. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Watch KOTC if you want to see two guys flailing wildly until one goes to sleep.

UFC has more talent, and less mismatches, with more on the line ($$$) so youre going to see smarter fighters trying to win the match rather than knock their opponent unconscious.

22. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

simple

UFC fans = boo if fight doesn't end in first 3 minutes
    Pride fans = want to watch an even technical fight

*well, until pride quit existing lol*

23. RobsMob

RobsMob Guest

ie Anderson Silva.

Clinch, knees, fight over.

Please see Rich Franklin.

24. RobsMob

RobsMob Guest

I would agree to an extent. But I know personally. I am starting to enjoy technical BJJ much more than a brawl. It's an education thing. Most new fans are not going to understand the ground game as well.

Love him or hate him, Rogan does a fair job of telling you what the guys might be trying to setup while on the ground. It's good for the newer fans that don't understand BJJ.

25. pride fans loved the ridiculous mis-matches pride put together too.