A&P Is it legal to take pictures of skylines and city buildings and post them?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by xunkn0vvnx, Jul 30, 2007.

1. xunkn0vvnx

xunkn0vvnx New Member

I have been taking pictures of various skylines and buildings in the city and wanted to know what the legalities were to posting these pictures on my website.

2. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

It depends on what the purpose is.
    There is such thing as a property release, similar to a model release, but with different requirements. It generally comes down to this:

If it's just a skyline or city building, you're generally in the clear. If it has a company logo of any sort or is an easily recognizable building, you may need a release before using it commercially. Putting it in your portfolio or just a "hay here are some pics lol" gallery is fair game. Portfolios fall under editorial use, no release required (though getting permission as a courtesy doesn't hurt).

If the building can be tied to a person and is used for defamitory purposes (OMG DONALD TRUMP DOESN'T TAKE CARE OF TRUMP TOWER), you need a property release.

If you take a picture of private property, you can be charged with trespassing.

Cliffs: If you aren't selling the photos and they aren't defamitory to someone or pictures of private property, nobody cares.

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

:ugh: not true.

I can take a picture of anything I want as long as it isn't sensitive military material that could be deemed necessary to protect national security or if you are infringing on anyones reasonable expectation of privacy.

You can also legally take pictures anywhere that is open to the public, such as shopping malls, even though they are private establishments.

Now, to use the example above.... if I were to go into a mall and start shooting, and was asked to leave but refused the request and went on shooting anyway, THEN I could be charged with trespassing...

4. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I'm pretty sure its legal its a public place

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

6. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

if you go on skyscrapercity there are tons of them

7. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

:eek3:
    I had some shit written but looked at the link. I was certain that you could take private property pics from the street, but not actually be on said private property and take pictures. My bad :o
    Can't they get you for trespassing anyway though? There's nothing they could do about the pictures, but the pictures could be used as proof of you trespassing somewhere.

8. IntheWorks

well, obviously if you are trespassing on private property you can get arrested for trespassing...

If you're talking about urban exploration... I'm not sure about them using your pics as evidence. If you in there not doing anything wrong, I doubt they'd even be looking for pics... but if you set the place on fire, and took pics of that, i'm sure you'd be treated a bit differently :o

9. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Yeah. I'm definitely not saying it WILL happen, but I think if someone was actually a big enough douchebag to care, they COULD.

10. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I've posted pics from urban exploration I just make sure I'm in none of the pics and blur out anyone's face that is in them :dunno: I guess its still proof I was there but I don't vandalize shit do I'm not too worried about getting in legal trouble

11. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Nearly 100% of my pictures are UE / trespassing. I have been caught billions of times and I've never had the cops ask any questions about whats on my camera.

If anyone has any ue related questions feel free to ask me. I mainly go to abandoned air force bases, and strange public utility type things.

12. IntheWorks

yeah, I've been stopped once... they just asked what we were doing and told us not to break anything :rofl:

13. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Some people may ask why can't you shoot inside a store. Well, some of these big corps don't want their competitors to steal their layouts and designs.

14. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I always see them long before they see me.

Real police are cool. Mall ninjas are not.

I still have not received a ticket for trespassing. :o

15. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Holy shit total mis-information alert! DO NOT READ!

16. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

elohel :cool:

The cliffs are the important part. Legalities do exist, people from both sides simply don't really give a shit about them.