GUN Is it legal for my workplace to say we cant posses firearms in our vehicle?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LancerV, Oct 27, 2008.

1. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

At papa johns they say we cant have a firearm in our vehicle while working. With the Castle Doctrine is this legal to do? Im still keeping my pistol in my car though when delivering

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

what state? and probably. and it should be.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

depends on state

don't ask don't tell

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Exactly.

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

A) What state?

B) Even in a state like florida where there is a "take your guns to work" law, meaning you can leave them securely encased in the car, its going to be iffy. Since you are doing deliveries, it could be considered part of the place of business, especially if you are receiving any kind of compensation from the company for mileage on the job.

That being said I'd look to see if they have the right to search your car as part of your employment and if so under what conditions.

Since you have said you have chosen to keep it in the car, when it is parked I would get a good locking box that mounts firmly to the vehicle, maybe mount it under the seat and secure the firearm there. (Heck even if they did search the car, you don't have the key on you/it was there when you bought the car and you never got a key, its not like they can destroy your property during the search.) Just be careful when handling it from an accessible position to a secure position nobody sees you. (tinted windows are great)

I comes down to a matter of the perceived risk to yourself(which as a pizza delivery, is higher than many, depending on the area) vs. the risk to your job and the impact of its loss. I don't know your situation or how hard it would be for you to get a replacement job should you get fired for having a firearm.

If you ever have to use it . . . hell I'd rather be alive and fired than dead and still employed.

I'm not a lawyer so don't take this as gospel.

C) If there is roadside parking ect off their property, they can really say anything about it being in the car, except for when the car is used to conduct their business.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

if it's legal in the state to have a loaded gun in the car, then fuck any job rules, especially pizza delivery lately. (hell, I'd be carrying concealed)

My life vs. a job? not even a hesitation there.

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

if you're dead you can't collect a paycheck...

8. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

lol

your employer is rolling the dice on two situations

1. you either harm yourself or someone else while carrying out your job with your pistol

2. you wind up dead due to not having a pistol and needing one

both situations are small but kinda remove their responsibility and minimise their liability

if you are injured by someone that could be prevented by a firearm that would be arguable in court but i guess they have more lawyers than you do

9. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

This is in Texas also

10. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Castle law says you can keep it in your car whenever. Even if you use your car to conduct business for them, it isn't their property. Your castle = your car = your home. Don't say anything to your company, but if they fire you because for some 1 in 100,000,000,000 reason they find out, I would take it up with the EEOC or pursue legal action if you want to get some punitive damages. I am not sure what Texas law is though so don't take my word as gold.

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

August 08, 2007
    Texas Gun Bills Die
    Senate Bill (SB) 534 and House Bill (HB) 992, which would have required employers to allow employees to transport and store firearms in their locked vehicles on the employers' premises, quietly died when the 80th session of the Texas Legislature adjourned on May 28. The Senate bill passed the Senate in March and went to the House Law Enforcement Committee but got snagged in the House Calendars Committee as the session closed--a parliamentary move that often signals the demise of legislation. The House bill never made it out of the House Calendars Committee.

12. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

:werd: