Is it just me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cannondale, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Is it just me, or are all computer parts getting lower in quality? My office purchased an Antec power supply for one of our CAD stations to replace the old one when we upgraded some hardware. I've always liked Antec, and never thought twice about purchasing their products. I even recommended spending the extra money on this one, so that we would be spared some trouble in the future. Well, a year and 4 days later, the thing stops working. I am no conspiracy theorist, but that seems a bit too coincidental. Did they make the product to last just out of warranty, and then break?

I remember my old IBM PC XT that I scrounged the parts up from my grandfather's basement. Not only did it survive 12 years of use, but then it survived dismantlement, and re-assembly by a 10 year old kid who knew nothing of the problems of static and electronics. How come they can't make stuff that will do this now? 4 of our 6 computers didn't make our last office move without me massaging them back to life over the course of a week.

Maybe I am just ranting here, but has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well Antec has started to go downhill for awhile. But yeah, I know what you mean. Even Edison's bulb still works but we can only get a few thousand hours of bulb life :rolleyes:

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

doesn't antec still offer a 3 year warranty on their power supplies? Either way, it's a well known fact that Antec's quality has gone downhill over the past 2 or 3 years.
    For a replacement, look at OCZ, PC Power & Cooling or Seasonic.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

2 or 3 years? What are you smoking? They've been shit for longer than that.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Well, I posted this thread before my evening class. I decided I would go and get some coffee at my office and check my work email. Well, my eMachines I got for free had it's IDE controller die, so now I am out of a computer at work. :rant2:

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You paid too much.